We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental steep deposit

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
reviews: 41
Car rental steep deposit

I just tried to rent a car in La Fortuna. The deposit is $750 bucks and $1,500 if I decline insurance (I have insurance coverage with Amex).

Is this normal? The deposit seems a bit steep to me.

Thank you,

Besitos22

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 39
1. Re: Car rental steep deposit

That is not only normal but a bit less than normal. Most car companies put a $1000 deposit on your card.

South Florida...
reviews: 41
2. Re: Car rental steep deposit

Just made a reservation with Alamo and they didn't request a deposit. But based on what you're saying, I have a feeling they will mention it once I get there. Oh well.. Need the wheels to get to Sky Trek and explore around!

Edited: 4:02 pm, December 03, 2012
London, England...
reviews: 81
3. Re: Car rental steep deposit

My deposit with Thrifty San Jose (having taken out the extra insurance) was $300.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
4. Re: Car rental steep deposit

The deposit is usually much higher if you decline the rental insurance and use your own, as they are then dealing with an unknown insurer. But I've seen that deposit for $2,000. David is from my homeland where we don't have such perks with our credit cards, hence his lower deposit but presumably way higher insurance payments.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Car rental steep deposit

Sad but is true high deposits...and hard to lower them!

roadadvisor

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 65
6. Re: Car rental steep deposit

All rental agencies will require a deposit, including Alamo - please take note, besitos. Once you are in the office, they will place a hold on your card.

The deposit amount depends on several factors:

1.) The type of car you rent. Cars that have a higher value and cost more to repair/replace will also have a higher deposit amount.

2.) The deductible you chose for your CDW. Rental car companies generally offer various choices, such as a $1000 deductible, a $500 deductible, or zero deductible. The lower the deductible, the higher the rate they will charge you. However, the lower the deductible, the lower the deposit will be as well.

If you decide to forgo the rental car company's CDW option and, instead, rely on coverage through your credit card company, then the full deposit will be posted to your card.

Edited: 12:53 am, December 04, 2012
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 65
7. Re: Car rental steep deposit

Oh, and yes, $1500 is quite normal for a run-of-the-mill car. For big expensive SUVs, the deposit can actually be much higher.

8. Re: Car rental steep deposit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 17, 2013