We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions in high season

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 6
Excursions in high season

My husband, teenage daughter and I will be in Arenal/La Fortuna from Jan 3 - 6. Thinking of doing the Skytrek, La Fortuna waterfalls and hanging bridges. Not sure about the repelling (never did it before and looks somewhat difficult) We will be renting a car. My questions are:

Should I prebook online now or is it OK to arrange everything once we get there?

Either way should I go directly with the excursion in question or through a tour company or through the hotel?

Is there anything else in terms of excursions I should be looking at?

Thank you.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Excursions in high season

The waterfall rappelling is an incredible tour. You do not need any experience and it is easy. If you are interested, you should do it as it will undoubtedly be the highlight of your trip.

You can book either way. It really depends on how you want to go about it. If you book when you are here and through the operator, you are going to have to go to the office first, which generally would mean an extra trip to town as they usually will not pick you up unless you have paid. You might be able to get a cash discount, but I personally would never keep a wad of cash like that as it would be an open invitation for problems. That said, there are ATMs in most locations, but you would be running back and forth to the ATM daily, which doesn't sound appealing to me either.

Going through a hotel has the advantage that you are staying at their hotel and their reputation is on the line. Therefore, they are going to point you in the right direction to the better tour operators. It should cost the same either way.

The rafting is good in this area. There is also a good tubing tour at The Springs Resort on the Rio Arenal. Hot springs are a must and you may want to do a hike at the base of the volcano.

new york
reviews: 6
2. Re: Excursions in high season

Thank you!

3. Re: Excursions in high season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...