We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delmar, New York
reviews: 3
should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

we are driving from san jose to monteverde and then to samara--will we be missing a lot if we don't drive around lake arenal and instead fly from samara to la fortuna? And will we have a problem getting around w/o a car as we are staying at leaves and lizards in monterrey above la fortuna? we go direclty to san jose from there

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

Not sure I completely understand this. I think you are saying that you are going from San Jose>>Monteverde>>Samara>>Arenal>>San Jose? If so, you should change the order as this is not a good idea logistically. For these destinations, your order should look like San Jose>>Arenal>>Monteverde>>Samara>>San Jose or San Jose>>Samara>>Monteverde>>Arenal>>San Jose.

As for your questions; If you do a flight, you will likely have several layovers as there are no direct flights between Nosara and Fortuna. The drive is nice, but long, around of 4.5 hours. The lake drive is beautiful, but keep in mind it is also very windy.

If you are staying at Leaves and Lizards you should have a rental car as it is fairly isolated.

Delmar, New York
2. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

thank you for your thoughtful response. I am in a bind because we really want to stay at leaves and lizards and they are only available at the end of our trip, The flight from Nosara to arenal has a layover in san jose.

I am pulling my hair out over this.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

In that case, it sounds like the only real issue is getting a rental car in La Fortuna. This is not a problem as there are several agencies in town. If you do that, you could also take a drive out to the lake.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

Check ALAMO in La Fortuna great cars...nice people todealt with...maybe the best cars around that part part of our country!

roadadivsors

Delmar, New York
5. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

is there any town or beach on the lake that you would suggest-- something that we could do comfortably from la fortuna?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

I hope I understand your question...but the drive around the lake to Tilaran from La Fortuna is very nice...maybe a nice stop at German Bakery in Nuevo Arenal or even Tilaran...then to Santa Elena Monteverde ...nice easy slow drive...some incredible views...

roadadvisor

boston, ma
reviews: 1
7. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

Deanne64 -

We have been vacationing in Samara the past 7 yrs, and the past 2 have incorporated 3 days at the front of our trip at Leaves and Lizards. In fact, we just finished booking our 3rd stay at L&L for Feb 2013. So a couple of comments:

1. Don't pull your hair out over the drive. In fact, I doubt you'll save all that much time flying. There is no airport in Samara, so you have to go to Nosara - the airport is 45-1hr north of Samara and their is no direct flight. The Fortuna airfield is a bit south of town, and L&L is north and east in the Monterrey. So by the time you factor in travel time, allowing enough time to make the flight, transfer, etc your probably not much better than break even - maybe longer. The drive is easy and over paved roads, for the whole trip (eception being the last couple miles into L&L). And as Raod Warrior says, the German bakery is probably worth the drive on its own!!

2. Leaves and Lizards is nothing short of AMAZING!! All cabins have the most stunning view of the volcano, wrap around porch with hammocks, tons of wildlife (hummingbirds everywhere, toucans, saw a sloth, etc). Steve and Debbie run a fantastic operation, great meals, and will hook you up with fantastic tours. Everyone raves about their all-day horseback tour, so be sure to check it out. We got rained out last year so its tops on our list this year.

3. You WILL need a car at L&L. It is way off the beaten path - which personally speaking is one of the things at makes it so great. i can't imagine how you'll get around without a car (other than paying top $ to have a guide ferry you around).

BTW....great choice in Samara. One of the prettiest beaches I've set foot on. Fun town, very Costa Rican (aka....Costa Rican's and their families still live and vacation there and are very welcoming to us tourists).

Enjoy your vacation

8. Re: should i fly from samara to la fortuna or drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 16, 2013