We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overthinking this?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
reviews: 14
Overthinking this?

I think I have our accommodation decided and then I started thinking about the Observation Lodge. I know it is further from town...and thats ok but we do like to eat out for dinner. Is the trip to restaurants that bad? We will have a car. I love the idea of all the natural things the Observation loge offers but do not want to be too isolated from other things. Other than exploring the volcano we will be doing SkyTrex, and a rafting trip.

My other option is arenal manoa. Pros/cons???

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Overthinking this?

Arenal Observatory Lodge is in an isolated location near SkyTrek and it's the closest to the volcano. If you are more interested in nature, wildlife and hiking than in nightlife in La Fortuna it's a good choice. It's roughly a 20 minute drive on an unpaved road to to reach the hotel. Companies charge more for excursions if they pickup at AOL because of the extra tim and distance required. If you have a car you could just meet them in La Fortuna at the excursion company's offices for whtiewater rafting.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
2. Re: Overthinking this?

I stayed at AOL and it is great for wildlife and hiking. But no, you won't want to make that drive for dinner.

The restaurant on site really isn't that bad, just stick to simple grilled foods which is probably the best policy no matter where you eat. The chicken was fine.

Edited: 11:31 am, November 16, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Overthinking this?

Also check about the gate situation...sometimes they close the main gate...early at night...

The restaurant at AOL..not the best...everything taste like chicken!

roadadvisor

tennessee
reviews: 3
4. Re: Overthinking this?

Loved AOL and the drive is not that bad.. it's part of the adventure. Coscajo's is really good and not farm from AOL. Lost Iguana has a nice restaurant and it's not that far either. But if you want to be close to town then AOL may not be the choice. I found it very worth the drive!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
5. Re: Overthinking this?

Have you thought about staying at the Lost Iguana? It has that same nature jungly experience, but they have a good restaurant and a better road to get to town. We've stayed there several times and enjoyed it.

Asheville, North...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Overthinking this?

Would love Lost Iguana but out of our price range.

I have been looking at Hotel Arenal Kokoro and the Paradise Mountain. I like how Paradise Mountain looks and the reviews are good but its more expensive. Reviews are also good for Kokoro. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
7. Re: Overthinking this?

Whenever we've stayed at Lost Iguana we've gotten some kind of deal. If it interests you, you could ask about specials or sometimes they list them on their website. Silencio del Campo is a pretty affordable option that always gets good reviews, and it's closer to town. We haven't stayed at the other two you mentioned.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
8. Re: Overthinking this?

i wouldn't let the unpaved road be a deal breaker here, it really isn't that bad. once at the main road you're on good paved roads into la fortuna. you can't beat aol for wildlife in this area.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
9. Re: Overthinking this?

Kokoro is a nice place and they have a hot spring pool on the property. Not to throw a curve ball, but you may want to check out Arenal Lodge as well. It is as far from town as AOL, but the road is paved the whole way. It's located near the Hanging Bridges and there is loads of wildlife.

10. Re: Overthinking this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 16, 2013