We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Tours??

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
reviews: 14
Book Tours??

Hi

My family will be taking a few tours while we are staying in La Fortuna area. But we would like to explore the Volcano National Park, hanging bridges, and waterfall by yourself ---is this done? I know everyone recommends a tour guide but we need to cut some cost where we can.

How much to just walk across the hanging bridges without guide?

Also, if we are interested in a tour, horseback ride, etc. Cano Negro river trip, do we have to book before we get there or can we wait?

We will be coming Dec. 13th-20th.

Thanks

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Book Tours??

You can do all these on your own, but don't expect to see a lot of wildlife. You can pick up tours when you are here, but keep in mind many of the better tour operators are going to be close or at capacity for that time of the year as it is the busiest time.

Colorado
reviews: 11
2. Re: Book Tours??

Adults are $24 without a guide and $36 with. The full rates are here http://www.hangingbridges.com/rates/. I think last time I looked La Fortuna Waterfall is charging $18 to enter.

You can wait until you arrive to book and I can say from decades of personal experience that the number one rated company on trip advisor (Desafio Adventure Company) is also the best company in La Fortuna. Good rates, great service and their guides are exceptional.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Book Tours??

Good advice already...another way to save money and time...rent a car...nice set of wheels for about $ 56.00 a day including basic insurance..

ASk for cash or on site reservations...discounts!

Desafios nice people to dealt wth!

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 124
4. Re: Book Tours??

We did the waterfall hike on our own, and it cost about $10 per person. That's one I definitely wouldn't use a tour for. It's just hiking down and back up and swimming at the base if you're interested. For the Hanging Bridges, we've done it both with and without a guide. On our own, we only saw ants, but with a guide we saw howler monkeys and some beautiful birds, including a toucan. You can definitely go on your own if you just want a nice hike though. A guide just ups your chance of seeing wildlife. For guided tours, we like Sunset Tours and Desafio. Given when you're going, I would probably book ahead because that's such a busy time. Eco Termales hot springs limits how many people can enter; that definitely books up ahead of time.

Asheville, North...
reviews: 14
5. Re: Book Tours??

On average, how long does the hanging bridges tour take?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 124
6. Re: Book Tours??

When we did it on our own, it took us about two hours. With a guide, it was a little over three hours or so because we kept stopping to look at insects, flowers, trees, wildlife, etc. If the weather cooperates, there's a nice volcano view.

7. Re: Book Tours??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 16, 2013