We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna and Sky Trek

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
La Fortuna and Sky Trek

Hello,

I plan to stay in La Fortuna in Decemenber, but would like to know how long it takes to get to the zip lines at Sky Trek.

Also, what is the best way to get there from La Fortuna, pulic transport or need car rental?.

And.. If getting to Sky Trek is literally a 'trek'.. Can another zipline be recommended? By trek I mean take us 3-4 hrs to get there. Sorry, but loooove ziplines! :)

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

half hour tops! you can get there by bus, but i don't think the bus goes into the park. la fortuna/arenal is quite stretched out, so if you are going to be very active in the area, a car will come in handy. i've used alamo and mapache in la fortuna with good result. taxis are common and cheap though. i've found that there is so much to see and do in the area that a car in indispensable. if you hate waiting for taxis and buses like i do, the the car is the way.

i'm pretty sure sky trek offers a pick up though.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

Sky does offer transportation for an additional fee. They have the highest and longest zips around as well as a tram ride to access the cables. You may also want to consider Ecoglide. They are lower priced, include transportation, have more zips and a Tarzan swing.

Colorado
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

There's no public transportation to SkyTrek and a taxi will cost roughly $20 each way.

explorinCA makes a great suggestion. SkyTrek is over very quickly...you ride to the top in a gondola and then it's a couple of very long fast (I clocked 90 kph on my gps) lines from towers across canyons with a few shorter lines in between. Ecoglide is more in the canopy and there's more to it. I guess if you REALLY love ziplines it would be worth doing both!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

Sky Trek is great. We loved it! The actual zipping took us about 2 hours. The lines are long and fast. The views of the lake and the volcano are incredible. We just had them pick us up and drop us back off at our hotel. The tram ride up is fun too.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44,953 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

If you can get a car in La Fortuna...you can easily save money and time...a nice set of wheels about $ 56.00 a day including basic insurance...very easy to drive around...and affe...of course common sense!

roadadvisor

South Florida...
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

Thanks a lot for the info provided, very helpful!

Now, are there any other car rental companies besides Alamo in La Fortuna? I've searched, but can't seem to find any others..

Edited: 9:01 pm, November 06, 2012
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

www.mapache.com

be sure to book direct through the costa rica website, never ever use any kind of middleman and ask for mandatory insurance to be included in the quote.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

Awesome, thank you!

arlington
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

Costaricaguide - you have me pretty nervous! :) I was going to book the Desafio tour to the sky tram for ziplining (we are probably booking other tours with Desafio) but 90kph is fast!! Is it really scary? I'm wondering if I should do the other that you mentioned. I just really like the idea of the tram! I'm not generally a very adventurous person but was planning to zipline.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
731 posts
10. Re: La Fortuna and Sky Trek

The Sky Tram/Trek is really fast, it and the Superman cable at Midworld are by far the fastest and most adrenaline pumping of the zip lines in Costa Rica.

It's all pretty safe, hundreds and hundreds of people are doing zip lines in Costa Rica every day...