We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights/2 full days

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
3 nights/2 full days

My family of 4 (with boys 14 and 16) will be in arriving in Arenal (El Silencio del Campo) in the late afternoon after a (5 hour?) drive from MA. The first night we are planning on relaxing in the hotsprings at the hotel, and checking out the local town for dinner. The following 2 days we'd like to visit Rio Celeste, Hanging Bridges and La Fortuna Waterfall. Other options include a hike at the National Park (worth it without lava flow?) and Cano Negro. I know we can't do it all, and perhaps we can do one of them the night we arrive.

We are doing a canopy tour in MA and also a guided tour in the park there, so I think that will be our highlight of animal viewing. Also, our hotel in MA is frequented by monkeys. So, that said, maybe Cano Negro is not worth it??

Last question is whether we should rent a car. With the cost of taxis to town for dinner and excursions, we might be ahead renting a car. This would only be for for Arenal portion though. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

You should keep in mind that both Cano Negro and Rio Celeste are about 1 hour and 45 minutes from La Fortuna (in each direction). Both are excellent tours, but it would require a lot of traveling to do both tours in your time span. You would also miss out on the area you are visiting. There is a Safari Float tour 15 minutes from La Fortuna, which could be a substitute for Cano Negro.

The Hanging Bridges is only 20 minutes out of town and La Fortuna Waterfall is 5 minutes out of town. You can do a hike at the base of the volcano to the old lava fields. I personally think it is worth it if you go to learn about the history (with a guide) and you also have a chance of spotting wildlife.

Taxis are easy as Silencio del Campo is only 5 minutes out of town. Alternatively, if you want a little more freedom you can rent a car in town. The roads are good here.

San Francisco...
2. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

You're right! Four hours of driving in one day after our drive from MA is too much. We'll stick to activities a bit more local. Are the hanging bridges, the waterfall hike and volcano hike enough activities for 2 days? I'm not sure about the safari float. My boys are more interested in seeing mammals rather than birds, butterflies etc. We are open to other ideas as well. Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

Nice idea to rent a car to drive around Arenal...you will save money and time!

The drive and tour around Caño Negro is worth it...the whole area is special!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
4. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

I'm not saying it is not worth visiting Cano Negro or Rio Celeste. They are both excellent places to visit and well worth it. I am just saying that I would personally not do both of them within your time period in Arenal. The safari Float is a good way to see plenty of wildlife such as monkeys, sloths, iguanas, lizards and more.

San Francisco...
5. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

Yeh, I understand. It just got me thinking about how much driving we are doing in a short amount of time.

I found this canyoneering excursion. It looks terrifying, but I think my husband and boys will love it! Has anyone done this?

www.desafiocostarica.com/index.php…

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 94
6. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

We did canyoning through Sunset Tours - it's called La Roca - excellent. I highly recommend it. explorin is the one who suggested it to us, and we loved it. It has several rappels, a zipline, a hanging bridge, etc. It's a nice combo. And we felt very safe doing it. Your boys would love it. Penas Blancas is nice if you don't want to go all the way to Cano Negro; we've seen monkeys when we did it both times. Desafio is a great company too.

San Francisco...
7. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

Thanks! I will definitely look into those.

8. Re: 3 nights/2 full days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 16, 2013