We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hagerstown, md
Safety

My wife and I are looking for something for our 25 anniversary. We will als have our 14 year old daughter. I have heard that Costa Rica is a very safe destination. Is it OK to rent a car and spend 10 days on a self guided tour of teh country. Also how is the weather in the summer?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 85
1. Re: Safety

Very safe. If you want to avoid danger, you will. If you want to seek it out, you may find it.

Weather in the summer depends on the region. In general, it's the rainy season, which means lovely mornings with afternoon showers as the typical day.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
2. Re: Safety

Congratulations! Renting a car and driving around the country is a great way to see the sights. Do read info on this forum about car rental, but other than that Racandee' comments would seem to answer your safety question perfectly!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 123
3. Re: Safety

We've always felt very safe everywhere we've gone. I wouldn't leave anything in your car unattended though since breakins can happen. I also wouldn't drive between cities at night since things aren't always well marked, and you can encounter rain and fog. CR is beautiful and has amazing wildlife and wonderful adventure activities. We love it.

4. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...