We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Arenal

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 6
San Jose to Arenal

I am trying to figure out transport from the San Jose airport to Volcano Lodge @ Arenal. My flight lands at 11:35am and it looks like there is a public bus that leaves to go to Arenal @ 2:45pm. Does that seem like enough time? Where do those buses depart from? Do we need to buy tickets for the public bus in advance? Where does it drop off in Arenal? Does anyone know how far the drop off point is from the Volcano Lodge? Is there another option that people here would recommend? Sorry for all the questions, but it is our first time in CR and I want to be as informed as possible. Thanks so much!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: San Jose to Arenal

Someone will need to chime in on the bus aspect, but you can also grab a shuttle from Interbus. I think you have enough time to do this if your flight isn't late. https://www.interbusonline.com/home/home.asp

Cheers

New York City, New...
2. Re: San Jose to Arenal

I was having trouble with their website and seeing what time the bus left and what the rates are. Do you know by chance?

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: San Jose to Arenal

Looks like you obtain this info via Live Chat on their website from 8am - 5pm. CR time = Mountain time at this time of the year.

Edited: 8:24 pm, October 07, 2012
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
4. Re: San Jose to Arenal

According to the website there is a 2:30pm to Arenal with Interbus. Shoot them off an email.

La Fortuna
5. Re: San Jose to Arenal

You can take Interbus at 2:30pm and head to La Fortuna, Arenal. Interbus will drop you off at your hotel. You will need to take a taxi to Mi Casona to catch the Interbus. It is only a 5 minute taxi cab ride.

New York City, New...
6. Re: San Jose to Arenal

And what about the public bus? Anyone have insight there?

Midwest
reviews: 11
7. Re: San Jose to Arenal

Gecko Trail adventures (geckotrail.com) has a great transportation section that made researching the options easy. Gives you times, cost of everything etc.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
8. Re: San Jose to Arenal

There is a website that has some info here - http://thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php deals with public buses. I have never taken the bus to Arenal so do not know much about it. Hopefully more will chime in soon.

Orlando, Florida
9. Re: San Jose to Arenal

Hi, I am researching on the same topic, I have contacted the Interbus, all trasferes are $45.00 per person. I am not sure how safe the bus is, do they make bathroom stops? I am opting to a public bus.

10. Re: San Jose to Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, December 15, 2013