We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 124
Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Has anyone eaten at the Springs Resort and Spa? We were thinking of trying it for a future trip and were wondering how the food is since it's kind of isolated. If you've stayed there/eaten there I'd love to know what you thought. Looks like they have everything from casual to sushi to more upscale. Anything you'd recommend or avoid?

San Jose
reviews: 22
1. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

hello volcanofirl, its been a while! i have not stayed at the Springs, but Iv got some friends that just returned and in their own personal experience they were not i pressed by the food. they loved e erything about the Hotel, the service, the detail, everything, but thought the food was not up to the standard. not bad but not impressive. I am sorry cause this is not my personal point of view, but I just thought Id share it, because I was talking to them yesterday and had it fresh on my mind.

San Jose
reviews: 22
2. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

sorry I meant volcanogirl....I have a hard time typing on the Ipad

Crown Point, Indiana
reviews: 45
3. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

We have been there a few times. The food is not spectacular, but it is very good. We love the breakfast buffet but always go into La Fortuna to eat dinner.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
4. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Thanks, crpuravida, I've heard similar things. I guess most hotel food isn't that great. Good to see you on the boards!

J, thanks for the info. We like to go into town to eat as well - can you tell me how long it takes to get to town, somewhere like Don Rufino, from the Springs? Do you have any idea how much a taxi would be? I've heard the Springs is off a bit of a rough road.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Some of our clients said that food is horrible and not cheap...!!

roadadvisor

Billings, Montana
6. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

The food is average to too salty and overpriced.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
7. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Ah, sounds like your average hotel food! granite, which restaurants did you eat in?

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 6
8. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Hi we were there in April and ate every meal at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was great. Wonderful pastries and local fruits. For lunches we were mostly off on tours but if you go down to the river on the shuttle there is a REALLY GREAT restaurant that is only open for lunch. THE BEST SALADS and sandwiches and this is the prettiest setting ever. No one ever there. Dinner options were the sushi bar which was wonderful. We ordered almost everything they had and not one thing was marginal. Every thing was superior. The dinner buffet was themed such as italian, caribbean? I can't remember exactly what they called it but it was great. I did not find the food to be to salty or over seasoned. My kids 9, 12, and 15 all found plenty of things they loved. They has a pasta station with some great unusual spices. Salad bar was the normal stuff and desserts were OK not great but that was fine. The prices were around $35 for breakfast and $45 for dinner. We figured by the time we took a taxi into town it made up for the difference. FYI it looks like the Springs is near town but it is a little ride out of Fortuna. You can see it from Fortuna but you have to go up, down and through a canyon on dirt roads. Plan on a 20-30 minute ride to get anywhere. You are going to LOVE the Springs. It is incredible. Can't wait to go back!!!!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
9. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Judy, thank you so much for this information! This is really just what I was looking for. I didn't know there was a shuttle down to the river. I'm excited about being able to eat close to the river, and salads and sandwiches sound perfect. Did you all do the tubing or kayaking while you were there?

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 6
10. Re: Food at Springs Resort and Spa?

Yes the shuttle down to the river is on a very old school bus with open windows. It either departed once an hour or every half hour but I am thinking it was just once an hour, so you have to plan accordingly. It is VERY steep and actually a pretty long hike but we enjoyed it and we missed the bus so we just decided to walk. Don't walk back up!!! Way too hard. As I mentioned though, you will see some pretty cool wildlife if you walk. When you get down there, there is the little zoo area-- make sure you go at feeding time around 4 pm. There are lounge chairs right on the river. My favorite is a gazebo all the way past the restaurant. So peaceful. If I can figure out a way to post the photos I will.