We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to see monkeys in the Arenal area?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 10
Best place to see monkeys in the Arenal area?

My kids desperately want to see Monkeys b4 we leave Costa Rica. where is the best opportunity for wildlife viewing in the arenal area? Thanks.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 122
1. Re: Best place to see monkeys in the Arenal area?

We've seen them on the volcano hike and also when we hired a Sunset Tours guide to take us out hiking by the dam. It's hit or miss though. They aren't as easy to find as in other areas. We've also seen them on the Cano Negro tour and the Penas Blancas river float. I'd say the Cano Negro tour is your best bet if you're up for an all day tour. We stay at the Lost Iguana on the edge of town and hear howlers quite often, but they're hard to spot. Good luck!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
2. Re: Best place to see monkeys in the Arenal area?

There are plenty around,but can be hard to spot. If you are low on cash and have a rental car, you could take a slow ride around the lake. You can almost always see them on this road if you look carefully. Other than that, I like volcanogirl's suggestions on the Cano Negro or a Safari Float tours. You are almost guaranteed to see them at Cano Negro.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Best place to see monkeys in the Arenal area?

I see them nost of the time in the road to El Castillo also a lot of Toucans!

roadadvisor

4. Re: Best place to see monkeys in the Arenal area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 27, 2013
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...