We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Mountain Paradise

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
O'Fallon, Missouri
reviews: 36
Hotel Mountain Paradise

We are staying here and everything I have heard the food at the restaurant is not very good and not worth the price. So my question is there any other restaurants around in walking distance. If so where at and how far. If nothing in walking distance what about cab rides. How much is the cab ride and how long. I know the hotel has a shuttle but I read that it shuts down early? We are needing places for a dinner on Fri, Sat, Sun. As well as lunch on Sun. Thanks for your help. We leave in 10 days.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

There are a couple restaurants within walking distance for lunch. For dinner, you can't go wrong with Don Rufino's, Que Rico, La Choza de Laurel or the Lava Lounge. A cab to town will be around $5-6 and will take about 5 minutes.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

You are correct food terrible and expensive...for typical food in La Fortuna Soda La Parada...they offer a full kinternational menu as well...ok pizza...good fruit milk shakes...Nene´s is also a great restaurant and Perlitas!

Roadadvior

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 17
3. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

Avoid Benedictus... Awfullll!!!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 13
4. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

I am also staying here and heard the pool bar is much cheaper and has better food. Honestly their menu doesn't look great at all and is way over priced.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

Just realized I gave you a response for Hotel Magic Mountain. There really are no affordable restaurants within walking distance of Mountain Paradise. A cab to town will run around $10-12 and take about 8 minutes.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 4
6. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

Melinda0222, Please post a review of the restaurants that you go to in La Fortuna, I'd be really interested in reading your reviews. I will also be staying the the Hotel Mountain Paradise in a couple of weeks and I am currently looking for a location for a wedding rehearsal dinner for 25 people. I'm leaning towards Don Rufinos, but Que Rico sounds good also. Both post menus online and have easy access for me to contact. So I'd be interested in where you end up! Have a wonderful time!

Houston, Texas
7. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

I just got back last night from Mountain Paradise. I will post a review shortly. I just wanted to give an update on the food situation.

We avoided the restaurant based on the poor experiences posted here on Trip Advisor. We did eat at the pool bar twice. Once when we arrived (it was late) and then once again later in the evening after we had eaten a late lunch and wanted a snack.

Nachos: Not so good, cold beans, some sort of shredded beef, sour cream, packaged guacamole (or at least it tasted that way) and a weird rubbery melted cold cheese. In all fairness this is a Costa Rican hotel not a Mexican hotel but even so Nachos are hard to mess up. $10

Chicken Fingers: These were delish! Freshly battered with fresh hand cut fries. I believe we had about 8 generously sized tenders. They served them with some sort of "ranch" dressing. $8

I also saw someone with a club sandwich at one point. It looked pretty standard.

The breakfast buffet is by far the best. There are typical American options like pancakes, egg station, muffins/pastries toast as well as fresh cut fruit, rice & beans, plantains and some sort of chicken or beef. They also offered really good coffee, water and fresh juice. We enjoyed our complimentary breakfast each morning and there was so much variety we didn't get bored.

I would say take lunch and dinner outside of the hotel. SO many awesome local and inexpensive places to try.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 4
8. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

Thanks so much for the post! Good to know! Did you get to Don Rafino's? Or other restaurants in town?

Houston, Texas
9. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

We visited Soda la Hormiga and Soda La Parada twice each. Both delicious and inexpensive! We ate at each we paid under $15 including drinks.

10. Re: Hotel Mountain Paradise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 16, 2013