We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 full days in Arenal - itinerary help

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 1
2 full days in Arenal - itinerary help

We have two full days in Arenal next week and I'm hitting a wall trying to figure out the best way to fit in everything we want to do! We have hot springs at our hotel and are considering a combo of the following activities: Skytrek/skytram, volcano hike, La Fortuna waterfall and/or Rio Celeste hike.

For anyone that's done the Skytrek tour, does it make sense to go for a hike soon after? We were thinking of doing it on our own but since we won't have a rental car, it's seems just as economical to do it as a tour but I don't know if the tour operators would take us back to the hotel after ziplining or if we can stay around the volcano base for a hike soon after (unsure if the park entrance is close to the Skytrek lines). Or does it make more sense to do the Skytrek in the AM, head to La Fortuna and the waterfall that afternoon and do a full day Rio Celeste hike the next day?

I'm not sure if it makes sense to do 2 waterfalls but the Rio Celeste hike seems more challenging than the volcano hike. Plus, I feel like we might get enough volcano watching with the Skytrek? Any suggestions on what activities we definitely should not miss?

Thanks for your help!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: 2 full days in Arenal - itinerary help

Almost either way or any one of the options you are presenting us will work...

Maybe nice think about to rent a small set of wheels...for about $ 56.00 a day including insurance by ALAMO...we rent them all the time and people really like it!!

You will save money and time GUARANTEE!

Just to SKY Treck is about $ 11.00 savings per person if you drive to tour location...then you can visit the Arenal NAtional Park and even try to make it to La Fortuna waterfall...possible with your own vehicle!

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
2. Re: 2 full days in Arenal - itinerary help

It depends where else you're going during your travels. I like the La Fortuna waterfall, but there are beautiful waterfalls all over the country: Montezuma and Bri Bri are two places which have incredible waterfalls and you can enjoy them within sharing them with a lot of other people. If you are going to Monteverde, the zipline there is terrifyingly great!

So if your schedule is looking crowded, try to do just those activities that you can't do elsewhere - are you going to the hot springs?

Have a fantastic vacation!

Toronto
reviews: 1
3. Re: 2 full days in Arenal - itinerary help

Thanks for the advice! We're headed to Manuel Antonio for the rest of the week so we figured there'll be wildlife there and our hotel has hot springs so we hadn't planned to go to others. I'm almost tempted to just take a day out of MA and add one more to Arenal and do everything we're considering! It's just getting to be a matter of efficiently fitting things in which is feeling somewhat difficult using a series of tours rather than renting a car.

4. Re: 2 full days in Arenal - itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 13, 2013