We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cano negro reserve

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
cano negro reserve

Is it possible to drive to Los Chiles in our own car to go on the float trip boats or do we have to go from Arenal on a tour? If so, how do we reserve the boats? Are the boat drivers guides also, or can we hire guides once there? Will the road from Arenal be passable in a van in the first week of August during rainy season?

Thank you!!!

libby

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: cano negro reserve

You can drive to Los Chiles or the town of Cano Negro and join a boat. Honestly, IMO, this would be more of a hassle than it is worth though.

If you do decide to do this, you should leave pretty early so you can find your way there and then find an operator. The drive to Los Chiles is paved the entire way. There is a fairly long stretch of unpaved road on the way to the town of Cano Negro, so you would have to leave a little earlier for that option.

Washington DC...
2. Re: cano negro reserve

Thank you for your response!

However, I am wondering ..............Do you mean that the boat trip itself is more trouble than it's worth? Or the reserve isn't worth seeing? Or the drive is too long and/or difficult?

Or, if we were to go, we should go with a tour operator from La Fortuna?

Would appreciate clarification.

Thank you!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: cano negro reserve

In my humble opinion...it is worth it to drive to Caño Negro...and look for a tour once there...you can even save some money...why pay more for the same??

Do not need any tour operator...just take your car and hit the road!

roadadvisor

Washington DC...
4. Re: cano negro reserve

Thank you roadadvisor for your comment.

Do you have an idea just where we find the boat trips?

onespeed424

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
5. Re: cano negro reserve

What I meant is you are not going to save much money. I have personally done it a couple times as we have some friends and family members that insist on doing everything on their own when they visit. You don't save much money once you factor in gas and it is a hassle as you don't know what their boat is like or how good they are. By the time you get everything worked out and compare a few operators, its a big headache and you've save a whopping $5 or so.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: cano negro reserve

You are WELCOME!

You can get all kind of information in Los Chiles...just ask questions...paying the tour from La Fortuna basically you are giving your money to a middle person in La Fortuna that will contact somebody in Los Chiles...???

I have had visiting Caño Negro for the last 40 years or so...since I spend a lot of my younger years with my great amigos Rodriguez from Los Chiles...and some of my great ancestors from Guatuso...!

It is a great ride about 1.5 hours...easy ride fun drive...

roadadivsor

Edited: 2:23 pm, July 10, 2012
La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
7. Re: cano negro reserve

Sorry roadadvisor, I had no idea your great ancestors were from Guatuso. I was just trying to provide the perspective of someone on vacation.

wacodiver
reviews: 1
8. Re: cano negro reserve

There were about 20 tour boats large and small around the dock at Los Chiles when we got there for our package tour through our hotel. I would imagine if you speak Spanish it should be no problem finding a private boat to take you out, or alternatively, join with a larger group.

Personally if I was doing it solo, I'd drive to Los Chiles the night before, get a room and find a boat and guide to take me out early the next morning. If you do a 6 a..m. tour you'll see much more wildlife and birds. You still see a lot at mid day but early morning would be incredible.

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: cano negro reserve

Thank you..!!

My great ancestors were native indians from the Cot tribe mostly...but those days the general population of my great country was just a few thousand indians...and for me any indian tribe in my country were my ancestors...and based on that I tavel a lot to different locations to meet and make new friends. among my indians relatives ..during my school years I have had the real honor to spend a lot of classes with Chiles and Guatuso indians...even at the Costa Rica University I share some of my classes with some of them...now some even mayors in some areas as Upala ...etc...etc...

Thank you Explorin CA...nice of you for your consideration and respect...GRACIAS!

roadadvisor

Northern VA
10. Re: cano negro reserve

Who to book the Cano Negro tour with Desafio, Anywhere CR or someone else...are they all very similar in duration, quality of guides etc

Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...