We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 7
La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

If you are staying in La Fortuna area, is it still worth it to go to Rio Celeste or is the La Fortuna waterfall comparable?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

Rio Celeste has the color water that makes it out of this world, but if it has been raining a lot that takes this effect away as the water gets diluted. Also Rio Celeste is a much more challenging hike.

La Fortuna waterfall is easier to access by far and can be done in a couple of hours as opposed to a full day.

Both waterfalls are very cool in their own ways. If I had the time and the weather was good, I would pick Rio Celeste, if the weather had been raining, and time was limited, La Fortuna.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

It is worth as Rio celeste is a much nicer fall with the blue waters, however it is not for everyone, it is hard hiking to get to the fall. Rio Celeste is a 2 hour drive fr om Fortuna each way plus the hike. The fortuna falls is very beautiful and right there close to La Fortuna

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

Rio Celeste in unique not that hard of a hike at all...

The hike to LA Fortuna waterfall is nice and easy...about 25 minutes car ride from La Fortuna main church!!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
4. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

The Rio Celeste Waterfall is the most beautiful in Costa Rica, IMO. It requires a physical hike, particularly if it rained within the last 24 hours. The trail can become muddy and slippery at times. There are a couple hundred steep steps that you have to go down and then climb back up.

The La Fortuna Waterfall is also beautiful. You do not have to hike into it, but do have a to go down and back up a couple hundred stairs if you want to go to the base.

Monterey Bay...
reviews: 37
5. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

We just did Rio Celeste and it had rained within 24 hours, so it was challenging, slippery and dangerous. We also hiked to the blue lagoon first which extended the hike substantially. That being said, it was a beautiful waterfall and it left me with no desire to see the La Fortuna Falls. I've seen my fair share of falls in my lifetime and Rio Celeste was unique.

We did pass a woman walking out in a long dress and barefoot. Not the attire I'd recommend but she was having no problems. There is also a nice restaurant at the finish of the hike to get an Imperial.

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

I've hiked Rio Celeste shortly after it had rained, and it was challenging. Just as the poster above, we hiked to the tinting area, and then to the waterfall. If it is muddy, just go slow. For me, it was worth the hike.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
7. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

Are there any hotels near Rio Celeste that you guys would recommend?

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
8. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

Rio Celeste Hideaway is the most luxurious in the area. It was built by one of the owners of Nayara and with the same standards. We stayed there a couple years ago when it was first opened and thought it was wonderful.

We also stayed at Tenorio Lodge a few years back. Nice quiet place with friendly owners.

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

The Rio Celeste Hideaway is expensive but it is a very nice hotel, well worth the price.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
10. Re: La Fortuna Waterfall or Rio Celeste Waterfall

Thanks, guys - how close is it to Rio Celeste? We stayed at Nayara and thought it was really nice.