We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 10
should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

We'll be visiting La Fortuna for 4 nights in July and staying at Lost Iguana. We would like to have a rent a car (we are a family of 5) and I think it would make life easier. We'll be in Manuel Antonio before the Arenal area. We thought we'd get a shuttle - interbus?- to drive us from Manuel Antonio. Should we have them drop us off at a rent a car agency in San Jose so we can self drive to Arenal or should we have them drive us to a car rental agency in La Fortuna? While we in the Arenal area we hope to do skyTrek, the animal shelter, the hot springs, and go to Rio Celeste for a day. Thanks for your input.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

I would recommend you find some way to get to La Fortuna/Arenal directly from Manuel Antonio, as driving back to SJ, then heading to LF/A is a long haul indeed. I see Interbus can take you direct from MA to LF/A for $175.00 (5 adults) twice a day, then consider renting a car upon arrival for your touring. There are a number of rental agencies in town. Have a safe trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

Maybe nice the first leg of your trip to hire a driver or take a shuttle...with that many people in your party...you will be surprised that you can get private transfers for the same amount of money than with a shared van...

Once in Arenal you can get the rent a car...you will save money having a car...you can get a Toyota Yaris for around $ 56.00 including basic insurance ...nice to dealt with Alamo...office is right downtown La Fortuna!

But if you get a car for the whole vacation that will be fine too...our roads are in great shape...and with a good map and or GPS...you guys will have a great time getting lost in my dear country! ( very hard not to get lost in Costa Rica...even we natives do!!)

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

There is no need to go back to San Jose as there are rental car companies in La Fortuna. Mapache and Alamo are both good. You should be able to get a private transfer direct to La Fortuna for around the same price as a shuttle for 5. Even if it is a few dollars more, it will be money well spent.

You can arrange for the rental car company to deliver the car to Lost Iguana. You should be able to get this service complimentary with a 4 day rental.

Cartago, Costa Rica
4. Re: should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

No need to come to san jose at all. Just rent it in the arenal area. I also suggest adobe rent a car

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

Just realized I said Alamo, but meant to say ADOBE. Nothing against Alamo, just do not have any personal experience with them.

6. Re: should i rent a car in La Fortuna or San Jose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, June 29, 2013