We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
reviews: 45
Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

Hi. I'm just wondering if anyone has been on this tour? We were looking to do this in a few weeks. We definitely want to do a Safari float, but will only be in LF for 2 days that we can do activities. We arrive on a Friday night and are leaving on Monday morning for Mal Pais. Saturday morning we're going to Proyecto Asis and then Sunday morning we were going to do the canyoneering with Pure Trek. We were worried that we wouldn't make it in time to do the early afternoon tour doing these other two activities. My husband is also more interested in doing the twilight tour, as he thinks it would be cool to do it in the evening with all of the nocturnal animals in CR.

My other question is about transportation to Proyecto Asis from LF. They said that we could get a cab, as we're not renting a car. Does anyone know the best way to get this set up? As I said, we'll arrive around 6 or 7 p.m. on Friday night, but then want a ride in the morning at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday. We also need a ride back to LF from Proyecto Asis at noon.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
1. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

You could also check with someone like Desafio; we toured Proyecto Asis through them as part of a tour. We loved Proyecto Asis and were able to feed monkeys, a sloth, and macaws while we were there. It's a small property but you can get very close to the wildlife which was really cool.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
2. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

If you do decide you want a taxi, your hotel could set them up for you.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

The best way to get a cab is through your hotel. You should let them know when you arrive and then follow up first thing in the morning. Proyecto Asis is about 30 minutes out of town, so the cab to and from will not be cheap. You may consider going with a tour operator such as Desafio.

I haven't been on the Safari Float night tour - actually did not know it was offered. Most of the wildlife is nocturnal and there will be the added thrill of riding a raft on a river at night. Let us know how it goes. Sounds like a blast!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
4. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

explorin, great minds think alike. :)

We have not done the safari night float, but we met people who did, and they saw a big croc when they did it. They said that if you shine a flashlight over the water that the croc's eyes will glint back at you in red. Cool, but kind of scary! If you ever wanted to do a day float, the Penas Blancas river float is nice.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

Guess so volcanogirl! After posting last night I saw that you had just posted essentially the same thing. Must be good advice then!

Tampa, FL
reviews: 9
6. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

I'm staying at Leaves and Lizards in a few weeks and will also be going to Proyect Asis. We arranged transporation through LL and it will be $60 round trip. We just don't want to bother with renting a car either.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

You can rent a car for $ 56.00 including basic insurance...even cheaper than a taxi...and you will have a car for 24 hours...

roadadvisor

Fort Collins...
reviews: 45
8. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

Thanks all! I appreciate your responses. I checked with Desafio - they do not do the tour anymore to Proyecto Asis. They would offer a private transport of $92 round trip. That sounded a little high to me. I had previously checked with Proyecto Asis they said that a taxi would cost about $38 each way. I have e-mailed our hotel (Casa Luna) about hiring a taxi, but I haven't heard back from them.

We really want to do the night time safari float. It is listed on Rios Tropicales website, but I have yet to hear back from them as well. Here is the link riostropicales.com/adventure-travel/family-a… - it looks really fun! Plus it would fit with our schedule better than an afternoon float. We'd like a little time between our two excursions - for lunch and a little rest!

We are soooooo excited about this trip! We have never been to CR, but I can already tell that we will want to go back again and again!

If anyone has any other transport recommendations to Proyecto Asis and back...let me know! We do not want to rent a car. I realize it would be cheaper, but we really don't need/want it.

Gainesville, Florida
reviews: 13
9. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

Hi Nicole,

I volunteered at Proyecto Asis last February and it was amazing! My daughter and I caught a bus to La Fortuna. The bus picked us up right in front of Proyecto Asis and dropped us off at the bus station in La Fortuna. It was at least a 45 minute ride and cost less than $2.00 each way. It was actually kind of fun!

Winnipeg, Canada
10. Re: Rios Tropicales Twilight Safari? Proyecto Asis?

Where is this bus station in La Fortuna?Is there a certain bus to take to proyecto asis? Does the bus take you there and back to La Fortuna? We're planning on the same type of arrangements and were looking for a cost effective method as well! The price from leaves and lizards sounds good as well! Have a great trip!