We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kensington...
Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

I realize the volcabno is sleeping, but I wondered if there is a quick, easy way to hike around somewhere and see where the lava flowed. I would like to teahc my 3 year old about the volcano and show him what lava is, etc. We have 2 very little ones, so nothing long or too difficult!

Thanks!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

You can do this through any of the tour operators in town. Alternatively, you can drive to the Los Tucanes Trail, which is just before the Observatory Lodge and hike in yourself. The trail is well maintained and relatively flat until you reach the old lava flows. I would recommend going with a guide as they will be able to spot wildlife you would not see otherwise and explain the history.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

You can visit El Silencio incredible nice views of some big old lava floats.

roadadvisor

Kensington...
3. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

Thanks roadadivosro and explorinCA. From el Silencio can you touch the old lava or just see from afar? I was envisioning getting to let the young one walk around on it.

How far of a hike on Tucanes Triail? That will be close to where we are staying.

Thanks so much!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
4. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

You can see the lava from afar on the El Silencio Trail. You can walk on it on the Los Tucanes Trail. I actually like the El Silencio Trail more as there is more wildlife. Both are approximately a 1.5 kilometer hike each way.

Edited: 8:48 am, May 26, 2012
Kensington...
5. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get there!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

If you are going to Tabacon Hot Springs...is a trail that will take you to some old lava floats...nice hike...and really nice to see that old dry lava!

roadadvisor

Houston, TX
reviews: 38
7. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

Where do we find the entrance to the El Silencio Trail? We want to do this hike on our own instead of w/ a guide, but can't find the exact location.

We are staying at the Birdsong Arenal in El Castillo. We pass the Arenal Observatory Lodge on our left when returning to La Fortuna. Can someone provide directions from there? If heading back to La Fortuna from the Lodge, will the entrance be on the main road after passing the small police station on the left side of the main road?

Also, where is the entrance to the Los Tucanes trail mentioned above?

Any help is appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
8. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

Los Tucanes you take the road into Arenal Obsevatory going up is in a curve at your left hand side...

El Silencio from the small Police Station...is maybe no more than 10 minutes at your right hand side...toward La Fortuna...

roadadvisor

9. Re: Volcano hike to see lava remnants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 15, 2013