We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 6
First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

Hello, my fiance and I are visiting CR for our honeymoon next Jan/Feb and I have some questions before finalizing the agenda. Background: We enjoy making our own day to day schedule (not big on all inclusives and/or guided tours) and love relaxing in a pool/on a beach, walking around towns to get a sense of the culture, animals, mild hiking for the sake of exploring, delicious food, and trying out local beers/wines. We aren't adventure seekers, but do want to zipline/do a canapy tour (are they the same thing?) while in CR. We're thinking we'll go to Arenal and Tamarindo.

1.) If we're planning to go for 8-10 days how do you suggest we split our time?

2.) Is this too much time for just these 2 places?

3.) Both of the hotels we're looking into offer car service to and from either airport - is there a need for a rental car?

4.) Is there a beach we should be sure to visit on a day trip(s) that offers good snorkeling?

5.) Is there a restaurant we should be sure to visit while in either place?

6.) Any other info is appreciated so that this is the trip of a lifetime! We can't wait and have heard such great things about CR!

ew york
1. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

We did the exact trip last year,4 nights in arenal and 5 in tam.Big difference in the two areas.Arenal is very lush and green,but it rained almost the whole time there.We still did things but it did put a damper on it.Tamarindo on the other hand was about 90 every day with no clouds in the sky ,just grat.There are other beaches close by we visited,avellanas,conchal.If i were to do it again i would split my time between rincon de la vieja,and tamrind.If you are flying in to liberia.

guanacaste
reviews: 31
2. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

1.) If we're planning to go for 8-10 days how do you suggest we split our time?

2 days arenal, 2 days Rincon de la Vieja 4 days on the beach, (total 8 days) 10 days put Monteverde in the agenda.

2.) Is this too much time for just these 2 places? more places better

3.) Both of the hotels we're looking into offer car service to and from either airport - is there a need for a rental car? rent a car , you will be free to move around

4.) Is there a beach we should be sure to visit on a day trip(s) that offers good snorkeling? conchal,

5.) Is there a restaurant we should be sure to visit while in either place? many depends on the area

6.) Any other info is appreciated so that this is the trip of a lifetime! We can't wait and have heard such great things about CR! fly in/out LIR and do the loop arenal, monteverde rincon de la vieja and the beach

reviews: 11
3. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

We are considering the same trip. How are you planning to get from the volcanos to the beach? And are you flying into San Jose or Liberia?

guanacaste
4. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

From Rincon de la Vieja, the closest beach is only 55 km away, drive to #1, head south, to Liberia, at the crossing with road #21 turn right towards the airport, and then to the beach.

In this case I recommend LIR Liberia.

Richmond, Virginia
5. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

Thank you for all of this info, Jose B! Why, exactly, do you suggest we add Rincon de la Vieja to our agenda? We'd fly in and out of Libera, AJ-TX! As for traveling from Arenal to the beach... we were thinking we'd rent a car at Liberia, drive to Arenal first, then drive back towards the beach for the second part of our trip and drop off the rental car at Liberia. We were thinking we may not need a car for Tamarindo because Los Eros de Altos (where we think we're going to stay in Tamarindo) offers complimentary car service places.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 26
6. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

Ali. Last year I traveled first to Arenal Volcano, and then come back to Liberia. I recommend to visit Rincon de la vieja (any budget hotels in the area). At end visit Tamarindo. If you are going to stay at Los Altos de Eros, I recommend to stay in Borinquen Resort. In Arenal could be Nayara or Arenal Manoa.

Richmond, Virginia
7. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

If we stay 8 nights total in CR and definitely want 4 nights towards Tamarindo should we split two in Arenal and two in Rincon de la a Viejo? That just seems like a lot of moving and unpacking and repacking... What is in Rincon that's not in Arenal? Is it simply less touristy? Are there better hot springs/volcanos in either? I appreciate the feedback and help, everyone. Thanks so much.

guanacaste
8. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

there are many things to do up in Rincon de la Vieja: the most popular is Las Pailas Trail, about a 3 hour hike in the company of a naturalist guide, lots of volcanic activity to see there. Also hikes to blue waterfalls (like rio celeste) . Lots of animals to see in the area.

there are properties that offer adventure tours also.

If you are looking for a guide in the area, contact Alejandro at info@kingdomtourscr.com , he knows the park very well.

guanacaste
9. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

Ali K, there is more volcanic activity to observe in Rincon de la Vieja volcano, on the trail you can see: little volcano, fumarolic lagoon, the mud volcano (paila de barro), water volcano (paila de agua), and along the trail you will see fumaroles and vapor vents, plus lots of monkeys and birds and other small mammals, go with a guide, it is worth it !!!

10. Re: First time to CR and plan to visit Arenal and Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:38 pm, April 24, 2012