We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
reviews: 1
Driving

Okay, here is the question..

We will be arriving into SJO and spending our time at La Fortuna. We have a package deal with shuttles to and from SJO to La Fortuna. We will arrive 3 hours early for the shuttle. So, I was going to hire a driver to take us to SJO and then just rent a car at La Fortuna. For our return flight we have to leave at 6:00am. We are thinking of taking the shuttle. I have herd not to drive at night or before daylight. It would be easier to rent a car in SJO and have it the whole time, but don't really want to be on the highway before daylight.

I guess I am asking for those that have gone before us, is this reasonalbe?? Doable?? etc???

Thanks,

Paula

oh, we will be there for 6 days and 5 night.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 35
11. Re: Driving

We debated renting a car in La Fortuna and had decided against it since most of the tours offer transportation. But Luis (aka roadadvisor), who was our driver, convinced us we should rent a car. We were very glad we did as we were able to do a lot more things because we didn't have to wait around for transport or worry about not making it back in time for something. Plus, we got to see a lot more of the area by just driving around and exploring a bit. My husband did the driving, and it was no problem at all other than some seriously bumpy roads in a couple of places that made it feel like our car might rattle apart, LOL!

texas
reviews: 1
12. Re: Driving

Thanks for all the "Great" advise.. I have decided to rent a car for my hubby to drive once we are there.

Thanks to all..

paula

San Jose, Costa Rica
13. Re: Driving

Dear traveelrwith...

So nice to heard from you guys...and knowing that my advice was a good one!

Roadadvisor

14. Re: Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:38 pm, April 24, 2012
15. Re: Driving

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:38 pm, April 24, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 83
16. Re: Driving

The roads are all paved to La Fortuna and beyond that all the way to Liberia. On the main roads in the tourist areas on this side of Lake Arenal, here are no rivers to ford or mud holes to get lost in or grades so steep a sub-compact car won't be able to navigate them. The roads are mostly narrow ( about 20') and without shoulders and twist and turn their ways through a relatively densely populated area and are shared with everything from semi-trucks with trailers to full sized buses. So long as you give yourself time and drive expecting these issues, you should be OK. Don't go expecting to maintain average speeds above 50 kms per hour and you should do fine.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 89
17. Re: Driving

yes from el silencio its a $8 taxi into town one way which I thought was high. In tamarindo from our hotel it was $5

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 89
18. Re: Driving

what is the driving at night problem?

At our hotel in tamarindo the concerige lady said it would be fine to leave at 4 am to get to LIR at 5 am fo ra 7am flight.

my friends relatives who live there ,he was staying with would not drive at night, even at 4 am.

San Jose, Costa Rica
19. Re: Driving

Two roads that I do not advice newcomers to Costa Rica to even try at nigth time...

1...road 32 to limon...extremely dangerous at night...a lot of heavy traffic.

2...road from San Ramon to La Fortuna ...narrow...high shoulders...can be foggy some times ...

Please try as much as you can ...to drive at night...not fun to take chances...

Roadadvisor

20. Re: Driving

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 19, 2013