We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
reviews: 1
Driving

Okay, here is the question..

We will be arriving into SJO and spending our time at La Fortuna. We have a package deal with shuttles to and from SJO to La Fortuna. We will arrive 3 hours early for the shuttle. So, I was going to hire a driver to take us to SJO and then just rent a car at La Fortuna. For our return flight we have to leave at 6:00am. We are thinking of taking the shuttle. I have herd not to drive at night or before daylight. It would be easier to rent a car in SJO and have it the whole time, but don't really want to be on the highway before daylight.

I guess I am asking for those that have gone before us, is this reasonalbe?? Doable?? etc???

Thanks,

Paula

oh, we will be there for 6 days and 5 night.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
1. Re: Driving

Paula, for a departing 6am flight, you should spend the night before near airport, do rent a car when you arrive at SJO and make the drive to La Fortuna, if is a late flight, you can hire a driver to take you to La Fortuna, you can rent a car there if you wish. Do not drive at night.

texas
2. Re: Driving

Not a 6:00am flight. 12:45pm flight. We would have to leave at 6:00am.

I am just worried about getting lost or taking the wrong turn.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Driving

If you leave at 6 or a little earlier it should not be dark, sunrise around 5:45am, you should be fine, but for me, I would leave for SJO the night before.

texas
4. Re: Driving

Also, Do we really need a 4-wheel drive???

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Driving

No you don't.

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
6. Re: Driving

I totally agree with Cubanon. (He always gives good advice!) Too many things can happen between La Fortuna and the airport. For a 12:45 pm flight, you will need to be at the airport at 9:45 which means leaving at 6 am to give a little "cushion."

So much better to head for Alajuela the night before and just relax without any worries. In the morning, you can walk around Alajuela for some shopping or banking or a choice of restaurants or get an ice cream cone and just sit in the Park and watch the families.

texas
7. Re: Driving

Okay, thinking of doing that. Another question. My hubby really likes to drive.

Do we really need a car in La Fortuna?? We are staying at the Volcano Lodge Hotel. Am still thinking of renting when we get to La Fortuna so we can our own transport. Any suggestions???

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
8. Re: Driving

A car really comes in handy in the Arenal area since things are rather spread out. Otherwise, you are dependent on taxis or tours that provide transportation. I think you will appreciate having a car and renting once you reach La Fortuna is a good idea.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Driving

Agree with Hattie(she always gives good advice) you can easy spend more than $30 dollars a day or more in taxi fares around Alajuela, it will come in handy.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
10. Re: Driving

Nice to have a car while in La Fortuna..

roadadvisor

Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...