We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation to arenal/fortuna

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 1
public transportation to arenal/fortuna

I have been researching transportation to Arenal from the airport and some sites say the last public bus is at 11:30AM and some sites say there are buses at 2:30PM or later. Can anyone help me figure out what the real situation is? I am trying to save some money so I can spend it on adventures. Thanks!

p.s. any information regarding the reverse route back to the airport from Arenal would be greatly appreciated!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
11. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

The problem with costaricatripguide.com/transportation/costa is that the information is very limited and really refers to trips from San Jose to various places. www.thebusschedule.com has more complete information to and from many many destinations.

New York City, New...
reviews: 1
12. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

Is it safe to take this bus route with so many transfers as a tourist that does not speak Spanish?

13. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:48 am, August 07, 2010
Costa Rica
14. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

It is very safe to take the bus - you only have one transfer and that is in San Carlos. No need to speak Spanish, just tell the driver where you are going. "San Carlos" and then on the next bus, "La Fortuna." Some people will be dropped off along the way and their fare will be a little less so this is why you tell the driver where you are going. If you are uncertain for some reason where you are, just ask anyone on the bus or the driver: "San Carlos?" or "La Fortuna?"

There are a couple of people touting various transportation modes, but the bus is an easy and inexpensive way to travel. It will take longer because of the stops along the way, but really not a big deal.

Really, it's up to you. You can take a shared van shuttle such as Interbus for about $40 or the bus for about $5.

San Jose, Costa Rica
15. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

Take INTERBUS...nice safe way to go there and only $29.00 each way!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
16. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

Interbus from Alajuela to La Fortuna goes at 8:45 am and 3:00 pm. It is normally $39 but, according to the website, there is a $1.95 discount (!?) so the price is $37.05 If this meets your needs, it is a good way to go. Otherwise, the bus works fine.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 137
17. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

I agree with several posters: Interbus is the way to go. When I visited Costa Rica last November, my hotel in Monteverde made the arrangements at no extra charge. Things might have definitely changed in almost a year, but as of 2009 Interbus ran twice a day, once in the morning and the last one at 3pm. I met the driver at a restaurant named Calalu that was a 15 minute taxi ride from SJO airport. I was the only person on the air-conditioned bus and my driver was professional and courteous. As of November 2009 I paid $35. Grayline is another shuttle service.

I would encourage you to speak with someone at the hotel where you're staying in Costa Rica. The lady at my hotel was very helpful and made quite a few reservations for me at no extra charge. I know I didn't pay a penny more because I researched all of the prices myself.

Costa Rica
18. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

The information I posted about InterBus was taken from their website today.

Denver
reviews: 5
19. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

Fuel for the fire. We thought about doing the same as you. Wanting to save money and all. In the end we rented a Suzuki Jimney and very glad we did. We saw more, were more free. Case in point. We stayed 3 nights in LaFortuna. twice we woke in the wee morning ours to the sound of Arenal erupting. We drove 5 minutes up the road to a spot where we got the view of views of lava flowing. for the rest of the trip we met locals that pointed us to places we would never have known about and were able to take side trips in evenings.

Just my opinion but we were glad to have our own vehicle. That being said make sure you heed all the warnings about driving here. Good luck whatever you decide. You'll have a wonderful time.

20. Re: public transportation to arenal/fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 07, 2011
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...