We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental return in La Fortuna

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
reviews: 8
Car rental return in La Fortuna

Hello,

We are dividing our Costa Rica trip into three places - Playa Hermosa, Arenal and Manuel Antonio. We are planning to rent a car from the Tamarindo area and keep it throughout our stay in Arenal, but after researching the Manuel Antonio area it looks like there really isn't any need to have a car there. We are thinking of returning the car in La Fortuna and hiring a private driver to get to MA so that we can enjoy the drive and stop places on the way. I've been looking at car rental companies, but can't find any with an office listed in La Fortuna. There was a post from last year that said Alamo had an office downtown, but it isn't listed on the website. Does anyone know if there are any car rental companies that have offices/will pick up cars in La Fortuna? I would prefer to stay with larger companies with an office in the US. Thanks!

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 57
1. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

www.mapache.com has dropoffs

but a car is nice to have in all areas

more expensive with driver

easier for me to just keep the car drive myself to save...

Surrey, Canada
reviews: 122
2. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

Alamo has an office in Tamarindo and La Fortuna

Reserve it here:

http://www.alamocostarica.com/

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
3. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

Keep your car all the way, it will be less expensive than hiring a private shuttle to Manuel Antonio and then back to SJO or Liberia for your flight out.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

Alamo has and office in La Fortuna...across from main church!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Antigua, Guatemala
reviews: 16
5. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

Hi,

Definitely keep your car. I found MA to be easy to get around, but public bus or car, no walking. Only when you're by the beach it's walkable, but the majority of the hotels are further away from the beach and the great restaurants are scattered as well.

You will save a bundle if you keep your car. It's around $250 one way transfer from Arenal to MA and then some cabs around MA and then to get back to San Jose.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

north San Francisco...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

Hi Marina and others,

I'm following this forum and now am thinking of renting a car in La fortuna for part of the trip. But I thought I saw somewhere that I could get a "shutttle" (not sure what it was called, not public bus) for $45 from Arenal/Monteverde to MA. Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Surrey, Canada
reviews: 122
7. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

Planning for my upcoming trip, other posters have suggested I try Interbus from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

http://www.interbusonline.com/home/home.asp

They are private shuttle that picks up and drops off at your hotel for approx $45 - $50 per adult.

8. Re: Car rental return in La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, April 16, 2010