We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

We are a family of 4 and planning to come to Costa Rica on August 12th. I have a 6 and 2-year old son.

I am planning to stay at AOl or either LI from August 15th-19th. I am getting a Smithsonian room at AOL from $130/night. THe cost of the room for 4 nights is around $588. There is an additional cost of $1400 dollars for all the tours. ( haniging bridges, horseback to La Fortuna, Ecothermales, Skytram, Cano Negro, Volcano hike).

At LI we are getting a room for 3 nights for $1185 plus tax and then we get two nights free. However, the tour adds another $1400. SO, the difference in staying btw these two lodges is $1000 which is a lot.

Is LI really worth coughing up the extra money. My guess is that we will be doing the tours most of the time and will not have enough time for anything else. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Mshikaji

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

In your case I will rather stay at AOL...with a young family as yours...anything is nice...of course LI is a lot better place than AOL...but kids will have fun at AOL...Lost Iguana offer some nice pools...my kids love the one by the bar...is a wet bar...they can drink fruit juices from there...

Are you getting any discount on the tours?

Save those $1,000.00 and stay at AOL...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Maryland
2. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

What kind of discounts? I called AOl, Lost Iguana and Desafio and the tour prices are almost the same. The $1000 difference comes into place when you fator in lodging. I am getting a room at LI for 1339 for 5 nights and $600 at AOL.

Should I go ahead and book AOL? I was thinking that we will be busy doing tours all the time so the lodging should not make that much of a difference or will it make a substantial difference?

Mshikaji

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
3. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

AOL better for the price...

LI family rooms not great...check TA reviews

www.tabacon.com also good specials sometimes

free hot springsa dmission for the family

nice lava views...

Antigua, Guatemala
reviews: 16
4. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

Hi,

Definitely AOL! It's the king of the Lava flowing show:) Iguana is great too, but I haven't heard anything substantial enough to warrant a $1000 difference.

You're children are not only going to love the lava, but the grounds are also superb!

Have fun,

Marina K. Villatoro

http://travelexperta.com

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
5. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

I would recommend AOL regardless--it has easily the best volcano viewing and wildlife sighting of any place in the area. Ocelots, jaguarundi, kinkajous, keel-billed toucans, parrots, spider and howler monkeys. Kids will love it. Lots of hiking that can be done on the trails--you could skip the paid volcano hike if you're staying there.

The setting is truly unique.

But, it's not luxurious and it's a long and bumpy ride to get there from other attractions. That, and the dinner isn't the best there--avoid anything with a sauce. Breakfast is great though.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
6. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

Unless you're set on your tours I think that's the place to try and save some money. I've got problems with 6 activities in a 4 day period anyway as you have not left any window for rainy days and it rains a lot in Arenal (hanging bridges, horseback to La Fortuna, Ecothermales, Skytram, Cano Negro, Volcano hike). You can do all your hiking around AOL. I'd also drive to Hanging Bridges and hike it yourselves without a guide. I'd worry about the pace with a 2 and 6 year old in tow. Warning: there's a lot of stairs to climb at Hanging Bridges. I'm not a SkyTram fan as there are lots of gorgeous views in Costa Rica. Different if you're riding up to take the ziplines down, but your children are too young. Would not take 2 year old or even 6 year old to hot springs although some do as the elevated temperatures in the hot springs are not wise for young children except for a short dip.

In any case, I'd only book the hot springs before arrival and then play it by ear once you arrive.

Maryland
7. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

Thanks everyone for your advice. We are staying at the AOL and are really looking forward to it. We will not do the horseback ride to the waterfalls and Cano Negro is out of the question too since we are going to Tortugero.

I am excited about this trip and will post a report asap.

Mshikai

8. Re: AOL versus Lost Iguana - Huge Price difference-Please Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, December 11, 2009