We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alajuela - La Fortuna

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ashburn, VA
reviews: 37
Alajuela - La Fortuna

I had planned on renting a car to get to La Fortuna, but I am having second thoughts. How can I get to La Fortuna from Alajuela, and then from La Fortuna to Puerto Viejo?

Thanks!

A nice place
reviews: 5
1. Re: Alajuela - La Fortuna

Hi JRfromDC!

Both trips are nice to drive, just don't drive at night. From Alajuela to La Fortuna you will need less than 3 hours.

Are you planning to drive to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui or Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (on the Caribbean coast)?

Drive on the 4 in the direction of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, pass Aguas Zarcas. If you want to travel to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca just continue on that road and you will get to the highway to the Caribbean. You can find driving directions at www.yourtravelmap.com

Have a good trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Alajuela - La Fortuna

Hi JR...thank you for your private message...rent a car is the best way...from Alajuela to La Fortuna about 3 hours and $ 125.00 (price as a reference NOT a quote) and from La Fortuna to Puerto Viejo Sarapiqui about $85.00...easy drive...to Puerto Viejo Limon...about $ 150.00...about 4 and half hours drive...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 43
3. Re: Alajuela - La Fortuna

The road from Alajuela to La Fortuna is not that bad, in fact is one of the best roads we've seen while vacationing in CR. You need to go slow since the roads are narrow, with lots of curves, but the road condition is not bad at all. We hired a private driver to take us from Alajuela to La Fortuna last week (we paid $90 for this) and next time we go there we will rent a car and do the drive on our own. After we saw the road, we ended up renting a car and doing a lot of driving on our own. There are some really bad roads in CR, but the one from Alajuela to La Fortuna and the one from Alajuela to Manuel Antonio are OK. There are some bad portions on the road from Jaco to Manuel Antonio, but if you drive careful you will be OK. Rent a car and do the driving yourself. Do not rush and make sure you are at your hotel no later than 5:30pm. It gets dark around 6pm and the roads are not illuminated.

Boston
reviews: 2
4. Re: Alajuela - La Fortuna

Hello,

Our flight gets in at 2 pm. Is it too rushed to try and rent a car to get to La Fortuna from the airport area? At first I cnsidered taking a bus but it seems we may enjoy driving the way ourselves.

Thanks!

Washington, DC
reviews: 34
5. Re: Alajuela - La Fortuna

I'm going to Arenal on May 15th from the Airport...my flight gets in at 1:30 pm and I plan on getting a private driver. Monica, do you mind sharing the name of yours? Quotes I've gotten are all $120-$150. If anyone's going that day, feel free to contact me and we can share!

Austin, TX
6. Re: Alajuela - La Fortuna

is anyone going on the 27th? we're flying into San Jose and then plan to go to Arenal. We could share the ride (private driver/taxi) if anyone is interested.

7. Re: Alajuela - La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...