We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Tours beforehand for Arenal/Montverde??

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Book Tours beforehand for Arenal/Montverde??

I am going to Costa Rica May 7-14. I'll be in Arenal MAy 7 (5pm) to May 9 (morning or stay an xtra day and do Cano Negro tour?).

Should I book the hanging bridges, skytrek, and national park tours now, or can I do when I get there? (Staying at Cabinas el Castillo)

How do I get from those places to the next? Can I just flag down a taxi or make appointments beforehand?

How far apart are these places from each other? How do I know how much time to leave between each one?

What happens if I am late for a tour? Can I take the next? No refunds?

Thank you for any info, am getting stressed out trying to plan things.

P.S Should I book a night tour for 6PM, the day I arrive? I leave San Jose airport at 12:30PM to go to Arenal (Cabinas El castillo). Will I make it?

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 78
1. Re: Book Tours beforehand for Arenal/Montverde??

You have not said where else you will be, but in any event, stay an extra day and do Cano Negro for the wildlife.

You do not have to book ahead unless you are there during Semana Santa or Christmas which you are not or possibly if arriving late on the first day and want to do a tour the next day. Usually your hotel can book for you and if, for some reason, they do not you can call yourself. However, given that you are only in La Fortuna effectively one day, you may want to have everything arranged in advance.

Any tour will almost always pick you up although they will likely charge you extra for pickups in El Castillo. However, I seem to recall that one of the zipline, hanging bridges companies is quite close to El Castillo.

Again, in El Castillo, you will not be flagging down taxis: El Castillo is a small village at the end of a long teeth chateringly rough road. There is a great butterfly and reptile exhibit.

As for booking a tour on the day you arrive, you might choose to risk it, but you will not get out of SJO likely before 1330 assuming your flight arrives on time); it is about 3 hours to La Fortuna and another approximately 1/2 hour to El Castillo. Assuming that after flying from somewhere and getting to your hotel, you still want to go on a tour, be sure that pickup is 1800 or later, not that the tour starts at 1800. Consider that if you are being picked up in El Castillo, pickups will generally be earlier. Consider finally that it will be dark at 1800 so I am curious what tours you will take, other than to see the volcano which you may see from your hotel in any event.

California
reviews: 55
2. Re: Book Tours beforehand for Arenal/Montverde??

you can book when you get there, see what the weather is like and that may dictate your plans

go with the flow and don't rush yourself

there are a lot of taxis in Arenal, your hotel can help with that also

don't book night tour unless sky is clear, you have to wing it

Arenal is great with lots to do

if you enjoy wildlife you might want to checkout the Ecocentre Danuas

don't be late for tours

3. Re: Book Tours beforehand for Arenal/Montverde??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 27, 2009