We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brooklyn
reviews: 2
canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

Hello, I am going there on May and I will be 18 weeks pregnant. I am pretty active...jogging for 30 mins for 4 days a week still. Do you think it seems ok to do the canopy tour or I would better wait for the next trip after birth...

thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 22
1. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

This question needs to be addressed to your doctor not fellow travelers who have been on ziplines before.

brooklyn
2. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

I already talked to my doctor and she doesn't really know how it goes and she told me it is all depends on. So i want to ask the travelers if it needs any physical strength or something.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 19
3. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

Each zipline is a little different. Many involve a short hike uphill, and using a little upper body strength to lift yourself up to get hooked on the line. (If you can not do it the guides will help boost you up) I do not think there would be any problems early in your second trimester) I am glad you adressed it with your DR.

brooklyn
4. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

thanks for all the comments!

New York City, New...
5. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

I'm pretty sure the zip line people won't allow you to go if you disclose that you are pregnant.

That said, in the absence of your doctor taking a medical position on this (which I find peculiar) I have to ask: why would you want to risk it? Do you really want to get into a harness? What if you hit the platform too hard or have some other mishap? As a never-pregnant guy, if you were the wife I don't have, I'd be strongly against it.

brooklyn
6. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

thanks for your opinion. After I am pregnant I realized that I could do much more than I thought I could have done. I am jogging, biking...the doctor recommended to be as active as possible and do as normal. There is not much risk unless I fall from the top to bottom but as you mention, why risk? I really might fall?!?!

thanks! I will think about it.

7. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

There's nothing about ziplining itself that would preclude you from participating -- it's certainly not strenuous or jolting or anything like that. I also think that any risk of the equipment failing is pretty minimal. I would bet that, statistically, it's a lot more "dangerous" for you to get into your car and drive.

Having said that though, I'm not sure that I thought that the experience was great enough to take the risk, however minimal. But that's a personal call and probably an "instinct" decision that's different for each person.

SE Michigan
reviews: 18
8. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

see626, when you are pregnant, you are definitely encouraged to be active, but discouraged from taking extreme physical risks. For example, riding a roller coaster. One reason is that relaxin is causing your ligaments to be looser, so if you are subject to sudden starts and stops, you might get injured. You might end up with sciatica (common in pregnant women) or sacroiliac problems (as I did in all 3 pregnancies - in each case it flared up after farely mild-but-twisty activities), etc. I doubt you are at any real risk for falling on a zipline, but you would be jerked around a lot, and it might be uncomfortable.

But you can still experience the forest canopy - take a hanging bridges tour instead of a zip line tour! Many people believe you get to see *more* on the hikes than on the zip lines, but other people prefer the zip lines for the physical rush.

Enjoy your trip, and here's to a "boring" (uncomplicated) pregnancy!

brooklyn
9. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

thanks! you sound very experienced and convincing....

10. Re: canopy tour for 18 weeks pregnant woman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 27, 2009