We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spas in the area

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
reviews: 1
Best spas in the area

Unfortunately my hotel doesn't have a spa, but does anyone recommend any spas in the area? Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 2
1. Re: Best spas in the area

Sure, just go to Tabacon - great grounds and great service.

new jersey
2. Re: Best spas in the area

The spa at Tabacon seems a bit pricey..esp for Costa Rica. Would you say its worth it? Thanks for your help!

Guadalajara, Mexico
reviews: 68
3. Re: Best spas in the area

The Grand Spa in Tabacon is the best Spa in Central America and one of the 10 best minarel Spas in the world, check also Spafinder.com; Leading Spas of the World, Conde Nast Johansen, Discover Spas and Frommer`s: Up from the Ashes: Costa Rica`s Reborn Tabacon. I know The Grand Spa and their Resort very well, great place.

new jersey
4. Re: Best spas in the area

Wow. Okay great...then I will definitely be going to the spa at Tabacon. Thanks!

Costa Rica
5. Re: Best spas in the area

Tabacon is very popular - it is in a beautiful spot, albeit an unsafe one (do a Google search and you'll find out"). It is also overcrowded with busloads of tourists arriving on the hour, lots of screaming kiddos, and sometimes outrageously annoying United States rap (music?) blaring throughout the area. The service is totally lackadaisical. They are resting on their laurels and great publicity.

Baldi Hot Springs is a disco-spa. Nothing more. If you are looking for action, then Baldi it is.

There is a better option, in my opinion. Eco-Termales being the best of them all. You can't just walk up to the door at Eco-Termales, however. You need reservations, and you need someone to take you there, because there is no sign and the front gate is locked. If a very tranquil, gorgeous, peaceful, gloriously wonderful hot springs experience is what you are after, then Eco-Termales is it. If you want to be "in with the in-crowd," then follow the crowds to Tabacon and Baldi.

Guadalajara, Mexico
6. Re: Best spas in the area

In response to the last post I think it is important to define what you mean by Spa, a Resort and a Spa is not the same. The question was which is the best Spa in the area and this for sure is The Grand Spa in Tabacon and The Grand Spa is located inside the Tabacon Resort.

On the other hand, I am sure that some of the most accredited Tourism Organization in the world (mentioned in my fist post) actually do know what they are doing before they give awards and do protect their Image very well before acting. I would advice you to check each and every Organization in respect to their portfolio and the property they do recommend and come to your very own conclusions.

Further you need to understand that the Arenal Volcano is an active Volcano in other words all properties in this area are in some respect in dangerous if an accident would happen, it honestly does not make any difference if you are 3 or 10 km away from the Arenal Volcano. However; I know that the activities of the Arenal Volcano are closely watched 24/7 to offer the best possible security.

Finally, I do agree with the statement in respect to the Eco Resort and I know why the door is close at all times, with a good research you may find the answer to this question.

Costa Rica
7. Re: Best spas in the area

"With a good research", you might also find out why it is true that "all properties in this area are in some respect in dangerous if an accident would happen ... " and why Tabacon, in particular, has been declared BY THE GOVERNMENT OF COSTA RICA to be located in a PARTICULARLY unsafe area. How do you think that hot running river got there from down the volcano? Because it is in a river valley, the perfect path for future lava flows. Where do you think that town that got buried in 1968 was located? Why do you think all automobiles are made to park facing out of the parking lot?

Not every place in the area is located in such an unsafe area. Some places are safer than others. The government of Costa Rica and its judicial system believes people should be responsible for their own actions. What a concept, huh?

Check around, please - you will discover what I am saying is true. And that all areas are not unsafe around Arenal Volcano. Yes, it is monitored constantly, but sometimes the entire area is also cleared of all tourists. Why is that, do you think?

I truly wish people would do their research before visiting Costa Rica. This is an "at=your-own-risk" country where the threat of lawsuits do not keep unsafe activities and locations from operating.

Austin
8. Re: Best spas in the area

Baldi Hot Springs was FANTASTIC. The admission price is $28 for all day, but you can buy a ticket in the town from vendors for $18. The food and drinks are very expensive at Baldi. We did many of the hot springs there and did the full spa treatment..manicure, pedicure, body wrap, mud, chocholate on the face, massage. Felt like a million dollars when we left.

Guadalajara, Mexico
9. Re: Best spas in the area

Well to rest you assured I did make a full Market research and if you look at what I wrote you must come to the point that nothing was left out. In any case I know where the town was located (not at Tabasco’s location but way up the hill area and further to the right), however I also know how much devastation was coursed during the 68 accident. Further lava flow (I can only guess you are talking about this issue gives you a good lead time, you may also like to check Hawaiian research data on this subject) however pressure waves and toxic gas does. In respect to the use of cars and how they should be parked, well I am not sure if this does make such a big difference.

The hot springs (rivers) are located way up the Tabacon Resort (listed on a Government approved map) and yes run down hill toward the Tabacon Resort. Even so, the buried old town is far away from this area and yes may be the lava will follow the river flow, and again may be not. This brings me to another point not mentioned before, during my research I found out that Tabacon is the one and only resort in this area with a natural hot spring river flow (not pumped ground spring water) and it is actually of Mineral Spring WaterQuality.

If an individual or a group of people due stay in this area to watch a active volcano or enjoy the nature of this area you may take some risk, (if you go to the beach you take a risk of being killed by a Tsunami, that is called risk of being alive) however an active volcano like Adrenal, having daily activities is less risky then a Volcano which has no or only minor activities. You forgot to mention the fact that Arenal erupted in 1968 after almost 500 years of inactivity; and early warning hints were disregarded.

I am not in the position to comment in regards to the accountability of the Costa Rican Government and their action; I however feel that they do take their responsibility very serious. Which brings me back to the issue of research, most adjustments of the Costa Rican Government (in respect to their concern of the wellbeing of their Visitors to the country) over the past years had something to do with in some respect the irresponsible behavior of some very few Visitors in the Arenal area.

North Palm Beach...
reviews: 29
10. Re: Best spas in the area

Did I misread the title of this thread?