We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking shoes needed?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
reviews: 1
hiking shoes needed?

My friends and I are staying in the Arenal area at the end of May. When we go hiking, how necessary is it to actually wear hiking shoes, or will sneakers suffice? I don't own hiking shoes, so I don't want to buy them unnecessarily. Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 2
1. Re: hiking shoes needed?

Sneakers will be fine. What matters most is that your feet are securely cradled in the shoe and that your toes are protected.

Southern New Jersey
2. Re: hiking shoes needed?

Whatever you wear, hiking shoes or sneakers, make sure that the tread is good. My wife wore old sneakers and kept slipping on the trails. I had a new pair of low hiking boots with a deep tread and never slipped once.

Southern New Jersey
3. Re: hiking shoes needed?

Oh, and take a small stiff brush to clean the dirt, mud, and volcanic gravel off the bottom of your shoes at the end of the day.

The Lost Iguana provided an outside sink and brush just for this purpose (just don't walk on the wet tile in bare fee and slip and fall on your back like I did. It hurt like heck for a couple of days, but thank goodness I didn't break anything)

I wish I had the brush and sink in Monteverde when our shoes were covered with mud and I had to clean them in the hotel shower. What a mess!

new jersey
4. Re: hiking shoes needed?

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll be sure to bring a brush with me!

5. Re: hiking shoes needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 26, 2009