We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

We would like to spend an entire day at one of these hot springs. If anyone can help, we would like to know which is the best one to go to price-wise as well as the best to experience. Also, is it worth taking the options that include dinner? Are there vegetarian options for the meals? Thanks so much for your help!

florida
reviews: 1
1. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

We went to Tabacon. Yes it was expensive, but the locker rooms clean, the towels fresh and lovely grounds. We did not get the meal option, we just bought snacks at the bar....fries and smoothies.

New Jersey
reviews: 2
2. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

I have been to Tabacon and Ecotermales. The best option really depends on what you are looking for.

Tabacon has a large variety of pools and the vegetation is wonderful. The food is mediocre, but it's probably easier than leaving the grounds. And it is clean and well maintained. That said, it is very expensive. For a couples experience it is reasonable, but for a family, it gets very costly.

Ecotermales is a very small, intimate setting with only 4-5 pools. They have an honor bar and meals, I heard, were very good. We passed on the meal and they did not have any snacks or ala carte food, so we did go hungry and wished we had bought the food. This is the most reasonably priced option, but does not offer much variety for a full day's visit. The grounds were immaculate and we saw monkeys in the trees above the pools.

I have not been to Baldi, but have heard they are mid-range in price and variety of pools. It is much more commercialized and I witnessed many tour busses outside. They have slides and cold pools, so they attract more families and locals. The bar is also lively at night.

So depending on your age, desire for quiet time, single/couple/family situation as well as budget, they all have something to offer.

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

We went to Eco Thermales in the evening for a few hours and really enjoyed it, however I couldn't imagine spending a whole day there. The food is suppose to much better than Tabacon, but not sure if they serve lunch too. When it's hot out and your in hot water, there is just so much you can take. Just have a back up plan if you've had enough after a few hours.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

A whole day at any Hot Springs is way to much for me...in that case maybe Tabacon offer more...they are have some trails to hike into the some old lava flows...and more pool that any body else...

But I like Eco Termales...nice friendly service!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Lethbridge
reviews: 39
5. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

We were recently at Baldi (Apr.7) early in the evening for 2 hours - part of our Caravan tour. There a several pools there - we only used 3 or 4 of the cooler ones. They get hotter the higher you go - I think the hottest was 109 degrees - we didn't go much beyond hot bath water!

Our admission was part of our tour, so I can't help you with that figure. Drinks were $10 U.S. - didn't want to pay that price nor did we look at a food menu. There is a fairly large comfortable food/bar area.

There is a deposit for a towel - our tour company covered that but I believe it was $10 or $20, and a locker rental was $5 - we got clothing and belongings for 2 adults in one locker, but that was about all we could cram in. You can check belongings in a crate on shelves behind the counter at no charge if you have no valuables with you - several of our group did.

The area is quite attractive, there was music playing but it wasn't obnoxious, and I'm pretty sensitve to unnecessary irritating noise. Some of the pools have waterfalls you can stand/sit under, some had jets. We did notice that one calm pool with built-in concrete loungers and disco ball wasn't the cleanest, some floating bugs, leaves and a bit of scum on the water, but the others where the water was flowing more appeared fine - there are a lot of bodies in all of them in a day.

The ladies change room didn't have a lot of private change areas and the public area was clean.

There are a large number of locals and tours visiting Baldi, but it was far from crowded during our visit.

We did enjoy our visit, but 2 hours was enough for us, can't really see spending an entire day, so yes, a back-up activity may be a good idea.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 3
6. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

We went to Eco Termales last week and loved it. The dinner was surprisingly one of the best we had in CR. As another poster said they have an honor bar and the drinks were US$4. I don't know the prices of the beer. Service was excellent and there wasn't more than 40 people in the place.

Conversely we passed Baldi on the way to Eco Termales and one would have thought they were giving away free beer by the lines of people outside the place. There was literally as many people standing outside of Baldi waiting to get in as there was inside the entire Eco Termales. And to charge $10 for drink is offensive IMO. I would not hesitate to say that one would have difficulty finding another drink at that price in CR.

Southern New Jersey
7. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

Eco Termales - 4 hours was just perfect.

Beer $ 4.00 US, Fruit Smoothies (no alcohol) $ 2.00 US.

NY
8. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

Thank you all for your posts. They were very helpful, and we will keep them all in mind when deciding. Thanks!

Guadalajara, Mexico
reviews: 68
9. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

From all Resort Operations in the area Tabacon for sure is a very good and perfect option, it may is more expensive (the price I think is one way to control the number of guests) however it does worth the price if you are looking for a very unique place in the world, the hot springs are pure Mineral water in an amount nowhere found in the world.

If you make a research with Spa Finder.com; Conde Nast Johansen; Leading Hotel & Spas of the World, discover spas.com and Formers you find great Information about this Resort; you may also like to check their home page, www.tabacon.com. By the way if you are happen to be a Spa fan, their Spa is considered the Best Spa in Central America by Spa Finder

10. Re: Tabacon, Eco Termales or Baldi Hot Springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 26, 2009