We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Arenal and Stay

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Getting to Arenal and Stay

My friend and I are traveling to Costa Rica in June. We are staying 4 days on the coast in Quepos, then flying back to San Jose first thing Saturday morning. We plan on spending the weekend in Arenal Volcano area. Couple quick questions:

1) Is renting a car the best option from San Jose?

2) We are only planning on staying one night since our flight back to the states is 8a on Monday morning - will we be ok driving back to San jose if we don't leave Arenal until 4p or so on Sunday?

Thanks,

Kelli

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
1. Re: Getting to Arenal and Stay

If flight connections are reasonable, I would probably continue on a flight to Arenal, since you don't have much time in Arenal. On the way back I would hire a driver, who could leave around 4:00 or so. You could relax then, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
2. Re: Getting to Arenal and Stay

Nature Air has a flight from Quepos to Arenal departing 11:15 and arriving 12:40. You could also consider driving which takes roughly 5 hours and would put you in Arenal by 1 PM if you left at 8 AM.

The problem with driving to Arenal is the return trip. It gets dark between 5:30 and 6 and you don't want to make this trip in the dark on winding roads that are often foggy by mid-afternoon. Either let a professional drive you or, if you insist on driving, be sure and leave by 2 PM. I'd suggest hiring a driver. Your hotel can help you, check arenal.net or search "private driver" on this site.

California
reviews: 53
3. Re: Getting to Arenal and Stay

two great drivers are

Willy: email: w_opciones@yahoo.com

Leo: email: leratravelcr@yahoo.com

both speak English

give Arenal as much time as possible

Devon UK
reviews: 35
4. Re: Getting to Arenal and Stay

Just returned from Arenal. My advice is to fly from San jose to save time - flight only roughly 30 minutes. Then get a hire car overnight. You can see so much more. If you decide not to then there is plenty to do with day tours etc. My advice also is as above get a driver to drive you back to San Jose. It takes about 3 hours but is a great scenic drive. Also traffic into San Jose is a killer !!

5. Re: Getting to Arenal and Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 26, 2009