We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

Hi, I am reserving rooms with Hotel El Silencio del Campo, and as a final step in the reservations, they require a copy of my passport. Is this normal procedure for booking a hotel in Costa Rica? If anyone could help, it would be great. Thanks!!

California
reviews: 53
1. Re: Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

yes it is standard practice when traveling abroad

some places in CR won't ask for copies however

Hotel Silencio Del Campo is wonderful, you will enjoy it very much

New Jersey
2. Re: Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

Great, thank you for your help!

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 78
3. Re: Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

During our recent trip to Costa Rica, El Silencio was the only hotel that asked for a passport number as part of the reservation. When I objected, they backed off. There is no reason they require it for a reservation; a credit card to confirm your reservation but a passport?

In many countries, it is a requirement to provide passports at check in for a hotel. I do not know if CR is one of them. Most places only copies of the passports of one of us.

While our family loved El Silencio, this unfortunate practise of theirs should not be encouraged. You should decline; they will still put through your reservation, unless, of course, you have the same problems other people in this forum seem to have getting a response.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

Some hotels around the world will not check you In without a passport...Silencio del Campo is one of them...I do not see is a TERRIBLE practice...and is Costa Rica...If I visit Canada I will follow and respect what ever they ask me to do...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 78
5. Re: Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

Dear Road Advisor:

I was not and am not disputing providing a passport at checkin. That is common in many countries and is often a requirement of the local police.

My dispute is with asking for a passport when you make a reservation. This is not a custom in Costa Rica (not one of the 5 other hotels we stayed in in Costa Rica asked for this), is not legally required and I can think of no good reason to provide it.

When I go to other countries, I fully expect to respect their laws and their customs and I did in Costa Rica both times I have been there. However, this is neither a legal requirement nor a custom as measured by the fact that no-one else required it and El Silencio dropped it when I objected.

6. Re: Copy of passport standard procedure at Silencio del Campo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 26, 2009