We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best water town to visit. Help please

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 24
Best water town to visit. Help please

Hi

I know this is a much discussed topic. I am struggling to make a decision as to which is the best water town to visit. If it is recommended that we travel to one further away from Shanghai then we have the flexibility to do a day trip. We can also visit on a Friday which will hopefully be less crowded than the weekends.

We'd like to see an authentic, interesting water town. It would be nice if we were able to see some of the beautiful countryside on the way. We don't want to do any tour guided shopping stops.

Is it recommended to have a guide for an excursion like this or would a driver suffice? We don't feel like negotiating public transport this time. If there's a lot to learn then guide would be handy but if not then we may as well go it alone.

Your help is much appreciated in advance

Thanks

Manila, Philippines
1. Re: Best water town to visit. Help please

Xirang. If you want to know the local culture, you'd better hire a tour guide

NNJ
reviews: 45
2. Re: Best water town to visit. Help please

I would suggest Tongli or Jinxi, which are less commercialized, relatively speaking.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 24
3. Re: Best water town to visit. Help please

Thanks so much for your suggestions.They are much appreciated.

4. Re: Best water town to visit. Help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 10, 2015