We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Douglas...
reviews: 9
Shopping in Shanghai

Is it possible to find authentic antiques in Shanghai? Where? I'm interested in furniture, paintings and wood carvings. Also, I'd like to buy good quality silk and "real" jade. Any suggestions where to look?

8 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
1. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

For Jade, i recommend to either bring an expert (if you are not yourself) to make sure you get good quality for a reasonable price.

Edited: 4:20 am, March 14, 2014
Port Douglas...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

Unfortunately I'm no expert. I bought jade in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia - all turned out to be imitations. I'd need to buy in a reputable shop, but how to know which shop can I trust?

Guilin, China
3. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

You'd better get a local friends to take you there, i mean REAL friends. Because there are some shops sell the fake things but you may not identify if you are not professional on this.

NNJ
reviews: 41
4. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

In yu garden shopping area, there are a few big shops, where you may have less chances to get faked items.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
5. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

NEVER shop for expensive stuff you don`t know about in China. It is ALL "best quality" and "original". However there is a big jewelery chain here and I think that they can not afford to sell imitations. HQ is in HK and they have shops in any major city on the mainland. You might want to check them out: http://www.chowtaifook.com/en/ afaik they also sell jade. https:/…Chow_Tai_Fook_Enterprises

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
6. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

I very simple jade bracelet from real quality jade will cost 40,000RMB. You buy anything real on your shopping list will require a big budget. If you have this kind of budget then you can also afford to get some professional help.

Edited: 11:08 am, March 14, 2014
Dublin, California
reviews: 29
7. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

Real antiques cost big bucks, I mean really big bucks. Chinese antiques and real jade have jumped in prices at auctions because there are now many wealthy Chinese willing to pay a lot of money for them. Like JP says, if you can afford them you'll need real experts to help you. My mother in law bought jades for her daughters many years ago from a very trusted source They all turned out to be junk. It's now very easy to fake jade, even experts have difficulty knowing which is real and which is faked.

8. Re: Shopping in Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:49 am, July 24, 2014

Reply to: Shopping in Shanghai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted