We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Be very careful when approached by strangers asking for direction or offering sexual or massage service.

I just experienced what I had read about scammers on various travel books and also on this informative website 'Tripadvisor'.

I was walking along East Nanjing Road recently in December 2013 and I was approached 4 times within a short distance of around 50 metre.

First, out of nowhere in the midst of crowd, 3 ladies approached me and asked me how to go to Yuyuang Road. They told me that they were tourist from another province of China. I spoke to them for a few minutes. They insisted to make friends with me. I rejected and walked off quickly.

Few steps away, I was approached by a single lady who asked me the same question as above.

Subsequently, few steps down the road, I was approached by 2 different ladies offering to give massage service.

If you are a single man walking there, likely you would be targeted.

11 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
1. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Especially if you're a hot 50, eh?

Sound advice in any city anywhere in the world. A firm but courteous 'no' or a complete blank (acceptable in China). Were these approaches made in English? If so, the 'ladies from another province' asking another tourist were a dead giveaway.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
reviews: 48
2. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

I have visited China about 30 times in 20 years on business, my wife traveled with me on all trips except one, which was an emergency visit to fix an urgent production issue. On that trip, I was constantly approached by single women in almost all hotels, in the lobbies, elevators and even in the upper hallways, in 2-3 cases, they simply ran the door bells(once was during the afternoon), plus there were many calls from the massage dept inside the hotels. These were not cheap hotels, but generally the best hotels in the smaller cities. These were no scams, just solicitations, they know who and where the customers are. I just said "No, Thank you." I was not upset about it, they do what they need to do.

Locals often say they can tell which women are in the trade at a glance, when we sat in the hotel lobby, they'd say, "this one." "That one." but I lack such skill, almost all seemed quite normal to me.

My wife is my protector, all these women and calls disappeared when she is there or near.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
3. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

I feel left out. No one ever approached me, with or without my wife. I have friends who were approached even when their wives were with them. I must have some kind of aura about me that repels women. Maybe they can tell just looking that I have no money.

Amsterdam
reviews: 6
4. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Quite common to be approached. But never in a way that it will make me feel uncomfortable.

Either just say no or completely ignore.

Shanghai, China
5. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Just use your common sense. Why would a domestic tourist ask a foreigner for directions rather than a Chinese localer?

Shanghai, China
reviews: 4
6. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Agree with Kathy Y

San Francisco...
reviews: 27
7. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

I was walking on some busy Shanghai streets and was often solicited for either fake watches or massages.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
reviews: 17
8. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

What I am doing wrong? - it never happens to me :-(

Macbini, when you have lived here rather than business tripped you can spot them a mile away - but like you, in the early days they all looked normal - unlike what we westerners expect them to look like.

Maybe they can spot someone who lives here as being different to a visitor - I have been told this is case but not so sure when they also tell me I dress like a tourist who has just arrived -- hawaiian shirt, shorts, long white socks and brown sandals... and jeepers its been cold this last couple of months!

Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
9. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Been living here since nearly 10 years and they still go after me when I walk on Nanjing (Pedestrian) Rd. They only have this "look, a foreigner, let`s go!". But at least I can spot them a mile away and think about my tactic, like once:

"Hello...where are from?"

"I am from Nazareth"

"Ohh...na-za....where is that?"

"In the Middle East"

"Ahh... what is your name?"

"Jesus"

"Ah... Jesus...welcome to Shanghai! Where are you going?"

"I am going to visit my dad"

"Ohhh...your dad lives in Shanghai??"

And they really kept on talking like they are art students from Nanjing etc.

But 99% of the cases I also just ignore them.

NNJ
reviews: 41
10. Re: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road

Not sure what they will say if you say "I'm going to see my Shanghainese laopo"

Edited: 8:41 am, January 31, 2014
Reply to: Single Man Beware When Strolling At East Nanjing Road
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted