We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northville, Michigan
reviews: 13
Day trips from Shanghai

I will have a weekend in Shanghai on a business trip in October. I have been there already about 10 times on business, and want to take a day trip to get an experience outside of Shanghai. I would appreciate some recommendations for where to go, as well as tour guides/companies to use.

9 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
reviews: 29
1. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

Hangzhou or Suzhou are the obvious choices.

Guilin
2. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

The Shanghai nearby cities and water towns can be easy day trips by train or bus like Hangzhou, Xitang water town, Suzhou with Tongli water town, etc.

Edited: 9:20 pm, September 22, 2013
Shanghai, China
3. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

Suzhou, Zhouzhuang, Zhujiajiao Old Town

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
reviews: 17
4. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

go to chongmingdao for country stle and some chinese style park things - get the 3 pass ticket or go to changxing dao for a look, great evening market particularly sunday night, you dont see this stuff in shanghai anymore - long gone or hengshan dao. got to get to cx first then its a short ferry ride across. you need a car on CM, bicycle on cx or ebike and bicycle on HS. very very close and no westerners. its the real deal...

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
reviews: 17
5. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

and i find shanghai as just another city - its a pretty boring place compared to a few others . lost its edginess about 2006...

NNJ
reviews: 37
6. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

2006, not 86?

Xi'an, China
7. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

Morning to Xi'an by flight to see Terra-cotta warriors museum and city wall. come back to Shanghai on same day afternoon or early evening.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 47
8. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

Dont try the day trip to Xian by flight.The airport is not a nice place to travel on single day trips as the schedules get backfired easily.I find that travelling by air domestically is more tiring and edgy than international flighs as domestic departures are frequently delayed and apart from that the high volume of passengers doesnt make the airport a relaxing place at all.

Single day trip to Nanjing/Suzhou /Hangzhou or the watertown is much more relaxing.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 4
9. Re: Day trips from Shanghai

water town is a good choice for one day tour outside of shanghai, and i would like to tour you if i will be available on the day.

Reply to: Day trips from Shanghai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted