We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasant Ridge...
reviews: 12
Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

I'm a fairly new ex-pat and due to my husband's travel schedule the last thing he wants to do is get on a plane and fly 9 hours to get to a vacation destination. We have two younger children ages 9 and 7 and love to hike, fish, tour temples and museums, and spend lots of time in or near the beach. Any suggestions of places within Asia that are not such a FAR plane ride away?

NNJ
reviews: 41
1. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

There are too many choices, but Tokyo (disney sea, ...) or hainan island (beach) may be the top pick.

NNJ
reviews: 41
2. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

There are too many choices, but Tokyo (disney sea, ...) or hainan island (beach) may be the top pick.

Edited: 11:06 am, August 21, 2013
Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
3. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

If you want a beach, Thailand would be many times better than Hainan. You have quite a few beach options from Shanghai actually. for non-beach, Japan would be a good choice.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
4. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

Langkawi, Ko Samui, Phuket, Okinawa, Boracay, Bali, Kao Lak... to name a few.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 101
5. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

While others might howl, beaches are just beaches, and not really much of a learning activity for your children. So I would allocate my precious resources in Asia seeing things they cannot see within 4,000 miles of Michigan. The kids have plenty of time left for the many lakes and beaches in your home state.

That said, I would recommend staying in China to explore the country and perhaps understand it better. Dali and Lijiang in Yunnan Province offer lots of hiking (Cangshan and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain). At the latter they will experience the southernmost glacier in the northern hemisphere. Both places are perfect for kids. For a special treat, you can go up to ShangriLa (Zhongdian) to see what life is like on the Tibetan Plateau, ride some small ponies on the high wildflower meadows, and see an incredible Tibetan Buddhist Monastery. They can pet yaks, or have them for dinner, or both. This is the closest to Tibet you can get without the special travel permits, guides and tours. Culturally and geographically, it is Tibet.

Most kids adapt to the higher altitude well if you spend a few days in Dali and Lijiang and then drive up to Zhongdian in a private taxi. It is an exciting ride for kids alongside a raging rocky river coming down from the Tibetan Plateau.

My attitude remains that you and the kids have the perfect opportunity to see China thoroughly during your expat stay. To better enjoy your new temporary home, I would explore China during the first year to better understand and appreciate the cultural and geographical highlights. Chinese natives will be highly impressed by kids who have seen some of world-class destinations in their country of which they are justly proud.

Future destinations might be southern Yunnan (Xishuangbanna), Yangshuo outside of Guilin (including famous rice terraces), Beijing of course for multiple trips, and day trips to Nanjing, Suzhou, Tongli and Hangzhou. And there are many places in the central area worth exploring such as Chongqing, the national parks of Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong and Zhangjiajie, and much more.

I highly suggest you purchase the DK Eyewitness Guide to China for the encyclopedia of photo and written essays on China's top places to visit. You will find ample places featuring outstanding outdoor recreation, cultural highlights and minority peoples. There are numerous curious and interesting cultural parks throughout the country. Few westerners see them, as they showcase indigenous peoples to the native Han.

Zhangjiajie, China
6. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

Highly recommend Zhangjiajie,in Hunan province of China,best green sandstone peak forest Zhangjiajie landform/clear water/fresh air in China,also good place for hiking.

I am tour guide in Zhangjiajie,welcome to Zhangjiajie!

Any more information please message me.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 47
7. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

There are still many interesting places to go in China like Guilin and Yangshuo where there are hills and water and caves,Yunnan like Zhangjiajie,Kunming,Dali and Lijiang,Beijing with Xian.,Chengdu and Jiuzaigou,a DIY tour at Hainan would be interesting,Tibet ..just to name a few.

Nanjing, China
8. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

The Xihai Great Canyon in the Yellow Mountain is a good place for hiking. It is near Shanghai, no more than one hour flight

9. Re: Best vacation spots outside of Shanghai within 4 hour flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 28, 2014