We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro vs. Taxi?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
reviews: 1
Metro vs. Taxi?

Hey all,

I have a stopover in Shanghai at the end of July. I'm planning on taking the Maglev to Longyang Rd. Station.

From there, I'm planning on going to People's Square and walking to East Nanjing Rd., and then later the Financial Centre.

I'm just curious about the ease of use of the metro. I know line 2 goes to these locations, but as a tourist is it relatively easy to navigate? I only speak English. Or would I be better off just taking a taxi?

Thanks!

Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
1. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

All signs and announcements also in English in the metro. Just no chance to get lost there.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
2. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

You are only making one transfer. It's pretty easy. Yes announcements are in Chinese and English, but I have trouble understanding the English spoken, plus sometimes it's too loud to hear. Just count the number of stops.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 471
3. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

Super easy and better than sitting in traffic during rush hour.

California
reviews: 9
4. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

Count the number of stops is a great idea if you cannot understand the english announced, just make sure you are going the correcttion direction.

Beijing, China
reviews: 9
5. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

There's no need to count stations - there's an electronic map inside the metro which will show you exactly which station you are arriving at next. It really is easy to navigate.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 91
6. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

Did you know that virtually no taxi driver understands English or reads the Latin alphabet?

Sure, you can carry your destinations printed out in Chinese characters to get around in taxis, or just take the Metro which has all signage just as big in English as in Chinese.

If you are severely pressed for time, then you should invest a lot of effort in creating your own taxi cards to go from sight to sight in a minimal period of time. But don't even fantasize you can converse with the driver. She or he will take you where the card says.

www.exploreshanghai.com is an easy interactive map. Each station has a local map right after you leave the turnstyle.

Here's your options on tickets: exploremetro.com/blog/shanghai-metro-ticket-…

Shanghai, China
reviews: 47
7. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

Your route you plan to take is among the easiest.Yes take the maglev to Longyang and im sure you cant miss this station as everyone has to diembark.Go down the elevator to level1 cross over to the subway station ,building is annexed to Maglev.Buy your ticket choose line 2 ,and pressed for Nanjing east road station.Cost 4 rmb and the machine is bilingual easy to use.Nanjing east road is the 6th stop from Longyang station.Fair enough .sometimes the speaker may not be clear in annoucing your destinantion but dont worry,if you miss Nanjing east road stop then stop at the next one at People square,you will still end up on Nanjing west and east road.

From here you can explore the attractions around People square and then walk towards the bund.If you wish to cross over the river to Lujiazui financial center,you can either take the Bund sightseeing tunnel at the Bund,opposite to Fairmont Peace hotel over to the promenade(Binjiang dadao) at Lujiazui in frot of Superbrand mall.This is costly though for a short trip.

Otherwise you would need to walk backwards where you come from ,back to Nanjing east road metro station and tkae line 2 again ,just 1 stop away to Lujiazui financial center.

its actually very simple and i dont think you need any guide whatsoever for this short route.Keep your ears open for the anouncement i think the western guy speaks very well.Wish i could speak like him.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 51
8. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

Yes metro is very easy and you won't have trouble getting around.

9. Re: Metro vs. Taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 24, 2014