We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton vs Marriott

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 1
Hilton vs Marriott

Looking for hotel recommendations in Shanghai. We have status and points to use with both Hilton & Marriott, and are trying to decide where to stay. We are a couple, mid 30s, live outside of NYC, and are traveling for pleasure, no children. We aren't big drinkers, but we enjoy having nightlife nearby so we can "people watch" at night. We are comfortable taking subways or using cabs so long as the price for a cab isn't as outrageous as the $60USD we paid to go 3 miles in Switzerland last year! We will be in Shanghai for 2 nights, so we are looking for a hotel that will allows us to sightsee, shop (local markets, no overpriced designer stores), and enjoy the local culture during the day, and then allow us to hit the town at night without making transportation a major hassel. I see great reviews for the Waldorf, but I don't want to be too quick to pick the #1 rated hotel just because the rooms are beautiful. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Shanghai, China
reviews: 47
1. Re: Hilton vs Marriott

Waldorf would be great.But I will be glad to settle with JWMarriot Tomorrow square.

NNJ
reviews: 41
2. Re: Hilton vs Marriott

If you have enough points, go for the Waldolf as Benny suggested. In downtown, there is another Hilton, two blocks from Jingan subway station, that is one of the “oldest” hotels, however. There are more choices from Marriott: Benny mentioned JWM is in a convenient location, and City Centre, which is in more convenient location, is only one year old (see my review). Ritz is also in a nice area (near Jingan and on Nangjin xi Road), but a little bit “old” too. One of good located Renaissances is near Yu Garden. All these hotels are more than good enough for your two-day stay.

Yes, Switzland's taxi is expensive (I had a ride a few months ago, ~3km for $30!). Shanghais' taxi is on the other end of the spectrum, 3km for <$3!

Burbank, California
3. Re: Hilton vs Marriott

I have been staying at the JW Marriott Shanghai Tomorrow Square for 3 business trips (3 weeks each trip) and they are great. If you're only staying for 2 nights in Shanghai you won't tire of the breakfast at the hotel, lol. The customer service has been stellar and they speak English.

If you are looking to do sightseeing, eating and shopping there are LOTS of places to go on the Puxi side of Shanghai. The Pudong side is quieter and more "suburban" compared to Puxi. (You can compare it to Los Angeles to Irvine). If you're into fitness and running I would not run on the Puxi side, but the air and sky seems to be "cleaner" on the Pudong side.

I recommend taking the Big Bus Tour. You can hop on and off at the various stops and it gives you a nice overview of Shanghai. I didn't take the tour until my 3rd trip and I wish I would have taken the tour on my first trip so I can get a better appreciation of the city. Do consider buying a mask as sometimes the air gets a little thick.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
4. Re: Hilton vs Marriott

Also agree on Waldorf and Marriott Tomorrow Square. The Hilton Jing An is a bit "off". Please read about the scams in Shanghai (tea ceremony/practice English/art student) as your hotels are in the prime scam area.

5. Re: Hilton vs Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 24, 2014