We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 18
Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been posted before, so apologies if it has. My girlfriend and I have recently come back from a trip to China, which ended in Shanghai. We decided to try the maglev from Pudong airport. When we got there we joined the official taxi queue outside of the station and waited.

When we got in the taxi the driver had a receipt over his meter screen so we couldn't see what was on it. In hindsight I should have confirmed the meter was on (and I don't know why I didn't cos' I had done in other parts of china).

Anyway we got to our destination and the taxi driver seemed a bit nervous, wanting payment before we got out, which was something we had never come across in China. I asked how much and out of the corner of my eye I saw the driver press something on his meter before ripping off the receipt to display the screen and demanding 200RMB (£20). Now to put this in perspective, its about the price I would have expected to pay in the UK, but Chinese taxi's are VERY cheap and I don't like feeling someone is trying to rip me off.

At this point, we started arguing the point with the driver whose grasp of English, which to this point had been ok suddenly vanished. The problem we had was our bags were in the back of his car and I didn't fancy him driving off. Eventually, by taking a note of his number and threatening to report him we got it reduced to 100RMB, which in hindsight is still 2/3 times what we should have paid. On the way back to the airport we got a taxi from peoples square and when we passed the maglev, it was 40RMB and this was in rush hour. The total trip to the airport cost us 160.

In hindsight and I am sure this has been mentioned many times before, but please ensure the driver is using his meter - even when you get it from an area you wouldn't expect to be ripped off from. Also don't be frightened to report the driver and take a note of his number if you feel you are being ripped off.

Other than that we found the drivers to be unfailingly honest.

77 replies to this topic
Sydney
reviews: 35
51. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Agree with TeachingCouple:

Arrived at Longyang and taxi in queue quoted RMB200 (from this forum new it should be around 50RMB)

Kept asking for meter, and driver kept saying he had a meter and the fare was RMB200

Overtly photographed licence plate and then got in and made a fuss of photographing driver details on back of driver's seat.

Asked to see the meter, at which point the drive took our bags out and gave us to another driver who had a meter, and estimated RMB50. Actual fare was only RMB40, so tipped him RMB10 for honesty and professionalism!

The scammers seem never to learn, but if they get a few wins, why not keep trying, I suppose!

Shanghai, China
reviews: 47
52. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Please do not tip the driver even if they are honest as it can set a bad precedence and even the honest ones might expect a tip for honesty.We locals will suffer eventually when they try to avoid picking us up .

Shanghai, China
reviews: 47
53. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

By NOT tipping is an added service to our community.The touts and illegal ones by hook or by crook will try to get the most out of their tricks.

The honest ones will find their work respectful as we locals do respect them and addressed them as sifu so they will find pride in their profession.

London
reviews: 10
54. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

It's annoying this is still going on years later.

I don't rate the Maglev any way, and then to have to deal with this after you arrive from a flight just adds to it's uselessness.

Shanghai's massive white elephant.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 19
55. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

How many people can a taxi cab take? There are 5 of us arriving so do we have to take 2 taxi? Also as I understand I should not take the dark red and blue cab and also with a plate ending in B and X. We will be arriving in shanghai airport going to courtyard Marriott. And our flights are arriving late at 9:45pm. And probably won't be out until 10:30pm. Would that be a problem to get a taxi that late.? Thank you for any advise I could get.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 200
56. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

10:30 pm isn't that late. There will be taxis although not as many as in the daytime. Regular vehicles seat only 4 passengers.

Edited: 9:17 pm, August 17, 2013
Los Angeles...
reviews: 19
57. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Thank you , wander how much would that be?

Quebec
reviews: 3
58. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

I have a question. How do you dispute a fair when the meter is rigged and set to a fast pace? I was in a taxi the other day and I noticed that the price listed on the meter was climbing quite fast. The total wasn't outrageous, but I'm sure I paid at least 60 rmb more than I should have. My Chinese is very limited so I didn't bother arguing. I paid the amount shown and left. What would you guys have done?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 167
59. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Sometimes on occasions if you know this is the case and it can be hard to prove, You should ask the driver at that point of time why it is doing that and ask to stop the taxis (if safe to do so) why is racing and why is it so expensive.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer make sure you have his name and number and tell him you will report to the police.

It is rather difficult situation. and sometimes for the sake of 60rmb it is hardly worth the effort.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 2
60. Re: Shanghai maglev taxi scam

Dear all,

My daughter and I just arrived Shanghai yesterday, we took maglev from the airport to Longyang station .What I noticed on the train,people has their bags even big suitcase with them at the seat instead of leaving at the baggage storage,is that tell us something? Anyway, we do the same thing with them but it's not convenience because small leg room. We got off at the station and walked to the Taxi station, the area was dirty full of trash ,at the station there were about 5-6 guys waiting ,one of them approached us asking where we want to go,I told him the hotel name and showed the map he then choose one of the taxi driver and took our luggages we told him to use meter ,he acknowledged not by the language as he can't speak English. We know that the Hotel location is not too far from the the station , it took us around 10 mins then we passed the Hotel,my daughter told him to stop ,he then stop by the main road,we told him to drive to the driveway of the Hoel but he refused and told us the fare was 275 rmb. This was our first time here and we didn't read before of their tricks, we PAID him . I found out from the Hotel personnel that we were ripped of but no receipt ,when I asked before we got off he gave me some kind of paper in Chinese letter and at that time his meter showed 275 but I didn't see from the first time when we got on because it had white bill hanging down to hide the number. The Hotel couldn't do much as there was no rcpt,no driver license nbr ,no picture because he stopped the car far from Hotel CCTV. So, be careful when you have to take the Taxi in Shanghai.

Reply to: Shanghai maglev taxi scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted