We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 7
Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Will be in Shanghai for 6 days with my parents and plan to visit Hangzhou and Suzhou, both for day trip only. I'll be staying at Puxi (at Nanjing Pedestrian street).

May i know how many types of train that go to these places? I know there's a bullet train that takes only half an hour, bit confused when seeing lots of train stations in Shanghai, so want to make sure go to the right one. And can we book the return ticket in advance?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
reviews: 62
1. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

The fastest bullet trains are the "G" class trains. The next fastest are the "D" trains.

For Hangzhou & Suzhou - Both of these classes of trains leave from Shanghai Hongqiao station and a few leave from Shanghai main station.

( If you are reading old posts it can be confusing because the trains and stations have changed.)

Look on Cnvol for timetables & costs - http://www.cnvol.com/

Yes you can buy a return ticket at the same time that you buy your original ticket just so long as it is in the ticket buying period. There are a certain amount of days before departure that tickets come on sale. For G & D trains you can buy them 10 - 20 days before - you will need to show your passport at the time of purchase.

Annie

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
2. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Both Shanghai Station and Shanghai Hongqiao Station have bullet trains to Suzhou while Shanghai Hongqiao has 99% bullet trains to Hangzhou. So if confused, just memorize Hongqiao.

Shanghai, China
3. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Yes , just go to the Hongqiao station. There are many tains to both Suzhou and Hangzhou. You can take the metro to Hongqiao station and just buy the ticket in the station 。

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Thanks very much for the replies.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 47
5. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

It is reasonable to take trains from Hongqiao Railway station to Hangzhou.BUT if u r staying near to People square or near to Shanghai main railway station ,it might b better to take the trains from here n back to Suzhou.It depends on yr hotel location too.,as u r staying near Nanjing donglu,i will definately prefer to take train from Shanghai main railway station to n back from Suzhou.Nanjing pedestrian street is far from Hongqiao station.,by taxi about half hr or more depends on the traffic about 60 Rmb..By metro also far about half hr.But if u take the metro line 2 from People square station for yr train at Shanghai main railway station u r only 3 stops away to reach in a matter of 10 minutes.at a cost of 3 Rmb only.Even though there r more G trains departing from Hongqiao but there is also enough to choose from at Shanghai main.

toronto
reviews: 23
6. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Plan to go to Suzhou from Shanghai one Monday evening in Nov. after visiting the Museum . Is it necessary to buy tickets beforehand or just go to Hongqiao & buy there? Are there usually tickets available? Is there a way to check on line?

Also, heard that taxis are hard to come by in Suzhou. How about pedicabs?

Staying across the street from Master of the Net Garden.

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
reviews: 62
7. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Hi,

Shanghai museum is closer to the Main Shanghai station and as myself & Benny mention the fast trains ( G & D trains) also leave from there. Depart from there rather than going all the way to Hongqiao station. You will find a timetable in my link above.

If you are worried about ticket availability buy them a day or so before - your hotel can help you do this & will only charge a small commission.

Outside Suzhou train station is the official taxi line - it might look long but moves fairly quickly. Dont go with the touts that aproach you. Yes there are also the pericabs but you will have to negotiate a set fee with them. Not sure how much luggage you have ( there are some pericabs that have 4 seats as well as 2 & you might need a 4 seater for your luggage. ) If it were me I would opt for a taxi rather than a pericab.

Annie

toronto
reviews: 23
8. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

Thanks for the info'. I had to go back to my hotel at Jin-An Station to pick up luggage first so Line 2 is better . I am relieved that there is a taxi line.

naning
9. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

It is very easy to buy tickets from Shanghai to Suzhou. Even if you take a normal train, it will take you less than one hour for the trip

10. Re: Train to Hangzhou & Suzhou from Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 13, 2013