We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

I will have three days in Shanghai during an upcoming trip. I am travelling by myself and will have little luggage. I am very interested in culture, temples, traditional music/opera, and getting a feel for the resurgence of consumerism.

Based on some searching on the internet, I have listed the following possibilities for things to do:

* Bund and Pudong

* Day trips to Zhou Zhuang or Wuzhen (one if these are alike)

* Cheng Huang Miao for shopping in small stores

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

-Roger

Shanghai, China
reviews: 10
1. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

Zhou Zhuang and Wuzhen are alike, so choose one of them. Avoid holidays and weekends since they will be very very crowded.

If you like museums, I recommend you to visit Shanghai Museum. The bronze collection is marvelous.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 101
2. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

Check out the Top Questions about SHANGHAI in the column to the right.

The Cheng Huang Miao is a tourist trap bazaar. It will remind you of Chinatown in Chicago, as well as San Francisco. Tour through but don't get really excited. Bargain hard here and everywhere tourists shop. Consumerism in China=Capitalism with a capital "C." The maximum price is the best price, according to the merchant. Learn how to bargain, including walking away from these merchants when the price does not come down.

With three full days, I suggest to you (like I do everyday it seems) that you buy or borrow the DK Eyewitness Guide to Beijing & Shanghai which shows you everything to see in Shanghai and surrounding towns. It is a great a la carte menu, and has excellent full-color city street maps. Only trust the on-line www.exploreshanghai.com for subway info as the system is expanding rapidly. It is an iPhone app also.

Don't forget ordinary everyday neighborhoods and the city's parks where much of the social activity takes place. At your tourist spots, you will see few natives and certainly nothing "typical" of the Shanghainese. Old Shanghai south of Fuxing Road is far more interesting, IMHO, than the Chinatown setup.

Edited: 8:35 am, April 20, 2011
Tongxiang, China
reviews: 1
3. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

It's convient to go from Shanghai to Wuzhen. There are two ways, one is by bus and the other is by rail way. You can take bus at South Shanghai Bus Station, and about 100 minutes later, you arrive at Wuzhen Bus Station, then you can take K350 bus directly go to Wuzhen West Scenic Zone. You can also take high-speed rail way at Hongqiao rail way station if you stay nearby there, about 30 minutes later, you will arrive at Tongxiang rail way atation, and then K282 is ready for you to go to Wuzhen Bus Station.

The Wuzhen guesthouse is nice and worth staying.

Beijing, China
4. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

For 3-day tour in Shanghai, you may go to Qibao Ancient Town, Longhua Temple, Old French Concession Area, Yu Garden and Cheng Huang Miao for shopping in small stores on the first day. Day 2, go to Zhouzhuang, and evening boat tour at Huangpu River to see the night view of the Bund. Day 3, you may go to Hangzhou or Suzhou by high speed train.

Hangzhou, China
5. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

There is another famous temple in Shanghai ; Jade buddha temple which is most famous for the two jade buddha. If you would like to visit Watertown , you should choose Tongli or you can do the same day Suzhou as well to see the famous gardens and ancient water town life. Personally i think Wuzhen and zhouzhuang is a little bit more commercialized.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
6. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

Suzhou is a very poor example of ancient water town life. Its remaining canals look like, hmmm, open drainage. Stick to the others.

Moe Australia
reviews: 1
7. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

Hi SoBeSparky

Have just returned from 6.5 weeks in Sri Lanka, Thailand and Seoul and am heading off to Shanghai in mid August, and was interested in your comment regarding Suzhou being a poor example of an ancient water town.

Can you please suggest another location, within easy access from Shanghai and the best way to get there.

Regards

Greyhaired Nomad

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
8. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

Hi grayhaired,

The water town Tongli, for example, has working canals populated with boats. The canal network is huge in the area and still in use. Suzhou's canals are mostly unmaintained waterways, not at all like they would have been like in the days of strictly water travel.

Suzhou is a fantastic town to see the best collection of classically designed Asian gardens in the world (more than Kyoto, Japan). Kyoto's are some of the best, but Suzhou has more of them. You can get to Tongli with a quick taxi ride from Suzhou, or take a direct bus there which takes longer. Most get to Suzhou by the fast trains, around 30-40 minutes.

9. Re: Three-day itinerary for Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, October 30, 2012