We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai 5-day itinerary - suggestions

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 69
Shanghai 5-day itinerary - suggestions

I would be very grateful on views of my planned itinerary for Shanghai, arriving 15 October. We will be staying on Changle Lu.

Fri: arrive midday by train from Hangzhou, afternoon Shanghai Urban Planning Centre, [birthday] dinner at M on The Bund

Sat: morning shopping on Huaihai Lu, afternoon walk in French Concession / Xintiandi, drinks at Park Hyatt Pudong, dinner at Pho Real, Lumin Lu

Sun: open-top bus tour, including Jade Buddha Temple, YuYuan Gardens etc, evening Acrobat Show

Mon: Whole day at Expo site - (Beligium, Canada, Chile, Cuba, Finland, France, Japan, Poland, UAE, UK pavilions on short list - suggestions especially welcome here!)

Tue: Train to Suzhou gardens and IM Pei's Suzhou Museum, evening transfer to Longyang / Maglev station for 10pm check in at Pudong Airport

London, UK
reviews: 151
1. Re: Shanghai 5-day itinerary - suggestions

My only comment is that I would not choose to go out to Suzhou on the day I was flying out of Shanghai just in case the trains suddenly had a problem & I could not get back in time.

But I am sure you will not have a problem, but personally I would change Saturday's activities with your Suzhou day.

If you look at my profile you can look back & see the itinerary I intend to follow in our trip to Shanghai next month!

London, United...
reviews: 69
2. Re: Shanghai 5-day itinerary - suggestions

Thanks worldtraveller, good tip, as I only wanted to see the IM Pei Museum in Suzhou I may drop it from the itinerary altogether as I'm also spending 2 days i Hangzhou preceding Shanghai.

Have a good trip

London, UK
reviews: 151
3. Re: Shanghai 5-day itinerary - suggestions

Thank you Garfster

We will get to Shanghai the same time as you. We are doing a day at Suzhou, because we like gardens.

We are also going to the Expo for a day.

Camas, Washington
reviews: 97
4. Re: Shanghai 5-day itinerary - suggestions

your itinerary looks great overall. time permitting, may consider going up one of the skyscrapers in pudong for a gorgeous view of lujiazui and the bund. oriental pearl tower, jinmao building, world financial center are the top 3, WFC probably the best, especially for a night view.

also, there is a new hip spot for hanging out called old pier (lao ma tou) near the bund. similar to xintiandi in concept, but very new and close to the water.

regarding the expo, i would keep the list as a preference as it is hard to stick with any plans once you get in there. depends a lot on how the crowds are. of the ones you listed, japan probably has the longest wait time (4-5 hours) throughout the day. if you have your mind set on having to see any particular ones, you might be disappointed. keeping an open mind and staying flexible goes a long way.

5. Re: Shanghai 5-day itinerary - suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 26, 2011