We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to china....help needed...=)

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
1st time to china....help needed...=)

hi all china experts...

pls help...

intending to visit china with my friend in mid dec till ard christmas season....

hoping to visit beijing, shanghai and the surrounding cities of shanghai...could any1 pls help on the following qns...thanks a million...

1. What are the hotels recommended that are convenient and accessible for shanghai and beijing? Not too expensive...mid-range that is comfortable and cosy....can we book online for the hotels??

2. Where to book train tickets for train from beijing to shanghai or shanghai to beijing....how many days in advance is needed for the booking?

3. Places to visit in shanghai given the short period of time we are going..

4. Where to book the day tours to surrounding cities such as hangzhou, suzhou, xihu etc...on average is a day tour for each city? or can we cover a few cities in 1 day?

5. must see or must eat food or must do activities?

6. what is the weather? are we able to do skiing in beijing??

7. any points to take note?

thanks all for your help....=)

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 101
1. Re: 1st time to china....help needed...=)

Please buy a guide book. We cannot possible replicate the hundreds of pages Lonely Planet devotes to Beijing and Shanghai.

Shanghai, China
2. Re: 1st time to china....help needed...=)

And if you really don't want to spend the money, you can read for free -- borrow from the library (I liked the National Library and lib@orchard) or go sit in Kinokuniya/Borders.

1) No way to advise unless you tell us your expected price range.

2) Train tickets go on sale 11 days in advance. Let me know if you need help with pre-buying, I'm studying in Shanghai.

3) Well, how many days are you in town for? What are your sightseeing interests and preferences? Most Singaporeans seem to be only interested in eating and shopping, please clarify ifotherwise.

4) No, you need at least 1 day each destination. Xihu (West Lake) is in Hangzhou, please brush up a little on the geography of this region!

6) Look on Weather Underground for historical weather data: Shanghai (wunderground.com/global/stations/58367.html) and Beijing (wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html).

singapore
3. Re: 1st time to china....help needed...=)

Hihi,

Thanks for your reply.

I should be staying at bai le men hotel but will need to know how to get there from the train station as we will be taking an overnight train from beijing to shanghai.

In addition, will like to take the maglev to airport from the hotel, could you pls advise which subway station I have to go to in order to take the maglev?

We are interested in shopping and eating and also sightseeing....

We will be spending 6.5days in Shanghai.

Thinking of allocating 1 day each for Suzhou, Hangzhou.

Wondering whether to go Zhou Zhuang or Xitang which you have recommended in another post.

But besides Suzhou and Hangzhou, any other places which we can take a day tour and go for sightseeing?

How much does a daytour to these places typically cost?

So essentially, we should be spending about 2.5days in Shanghai city itself to do shopping and eating and exploring...

Hopefully we can cover all those main attractions....

Kindly help to provide some guide.

Though we do refer to the guidebook, but I think some of the information might be outdated. Hence, would really need your expertise here.

Thanks.

4. Re: 1st time to china....help needed...=)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 12, 2009