We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a guide?

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tasmania
reviews: 11
Do we need a guide?

Shanghai here we come. My husband and I will arrive in Shanghai in June and have a whole week. We wonder if we should hire a guide. We have seen some ads for student guides with a very wide range of prices and are a bit nervous about the language barrier and spending too much time trying to get from 1 place to another and making ourselves understood. Also if anyone has some good itineraries for interesting day trips. We are fascinated by the water towns and wonder which of these is the most interesting and possible to get to using public transport or is it better to book these as organised tours.

Alicante Province...
reviews: 7
11. Re: Do we need a guide?

Hi Chessa, My husband and I spent 3 weeks in China in October last year. We spent 5 days at the start, and a further 3 nights at the end of our holiday in Shanghai. It was our first time. We had a fantastic time. In relation to water villages, we went to Zhujiajiao, which was a bus trip from Shanghai stadium, and cost 80 yuan return! only problem is that you have to cope with VERY enthusiastic locals! Just get on the bus!!!!

We loved Shanghai and can't wait to go back. We had an English/Mandarin phraseboook. In shanghai we loved:

The Bund, The shopping, you have so much freedom using the metro, it's so easy, and soooooo cheap!!!

If u have time we thoroughly recommend the acrobatics at Shanghai circus world. (There is a metro stop right outside)

Don't forget a trip from the airport into Shanghai on the MAGLEV (40 yuan) travel at 430 km per hour - Fastest in the world, amazing! The people are very friendly, and travelling around was great on our own. Hotel staff only to happy to write directions in mandarin (Essential) Have a great trip, hope it is as memorable as ours. Dont forget the firework display over the bund, every weekend. ENJOY

Shanghai, China
12. Re: Do we need a guide?

Xitang isn't the closest water village to Shanghai but neither is it very far away.

It's a pity that I would be busy with my graduation exams in June, or else I would offer to show you around. Well, still, let me know if you'd like to meet up for a chat/tea/meal sometime in town. :)

13. Re: Do we need a guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 01, 2009