We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toberua + Denguen Fever with a one year old?

Which Toberua Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Toberua + Denguen Fever with a one year old?

My husband and I have our heart set on a Toberua holiday with our one year old. But just before we were about to book we checked the travel warnings and there is a new strain of Dengue Fever that has broken out and making a lot of people ill, particularly around Suva (a half hour boat ride from Toberua).

Does anyone know of any places similar to Toberua on the other side of the Island? Maybe along the Coral Coast or near Nadi? I've read the chances of contracting this new strain in these areas is very, very low.

We are really looking for a small retreat, something a little bit fancy like Toberua. No big resorts.

I can't decide if I'm being paranoid or a good mum??

1 reply
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
reviews: 202
1. Re: Toberua + Denguen Fever with a one year old?

What time of year are you considering travelling? This is more common in the "wet season" (in all tropical locations) but less common in the drier times of year (April to Oct). Toberua is quite some way off the mainland from Suva and experiences a completely different climate to Suva (you can see rain on the mainland all the time whilst clear on Toberua).

We have travelled to many regions of Fiji with our young son and have found Toberua to be quite unique in what it has to offer. Recently we stayed at Malolo and were very disappointed after our wonderful stay at Toberua. Possibly the nearest match could be Paradise Cove in the Yasawas but it is part of a chain of resorts but can't comment as we haven't been there. Certainly can't imagine it providing the same level of personal service that you get at Toberua. The absolute standout is the mission of all the staff on the island to ensure you have the best holiday you possibly can.

Probably best to consult with your GP an if you are still concerned, perhaps delay travel to remote tropical destinations until your child is older.

PS - there was a baby under 6months old on the island while we were there and he was cared for wonderfully by the staff.

Edited: 5:01 am, March 06, 2014
Reply to: Toberua + Denguen Fever with a one year old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Toberua Island
More Toberua Island Topics