We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking cash or traveller's cheque

Which Mana Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart
reviews: 2
Taking cash or traveller's cheque

Hi, we are travelling for a week to Mana Island from 13th April and was wondering if it's best to take cash or traveller's cheques with us. I am sure most things can be charged to your room and settled by credit card but there appears to be opportunities to visit other areas on the island. Would you recommend getting some cash beforehand or traveller's cheques and how much, or would there be opportunity once we land to get some cash?

Thanks

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
reviews: 19
1. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

As you indicate the majority of charges on Mana can be made to your room. You will only need cash if you play bingo, buy a crab in the crab races or purchase postage stamps. If you intend to visit other islands and buy souvenirs you will also need cash. If you are caught short you can exchange currency at the resort but the exchange rate is not that good. There is no need for travellers cheques and remember there is a safe in your room. You can exchange currency at Nadi airport on arrival but if you want a better rate then go to Nadi.

Hobart
2. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

Thanks for such a quick response, I appreciate your time. I imagine there is an ATM in Nadi airport but we will be picked up and transferred so am unsure if we have time to go to the ATM or into Nadi, would it be better to get fiji dollars at home before we go? If so, how much would be a reasonable amount for a week?

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
reviews: 19
3. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

There is no problem in getting Fijian dollars from your local post office. Just order them and they are usually available in 2 days. Depending upon what you intend spending I think F$200 would be sufficient for a week.There are ATMs at the airport.

Edited: 7:04 pm, January 22, 2012
Hobart
4. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

Thanks, I will get some cash from here before we leave.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
5. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

We take the majority in Fijian dollars and also some travellers cheques in Australian dollars. If we dont use them we can cash them in when we return home.

Not a fan of using the credit card as you are charged a currency conversion fee every time you use it .

Edited: 5:35 am, January 23, 2012
Auckland
reviews: 30
6. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

We travel to Fiji generally 3-4 times a year and in fact up there again next week. I always grab 750 FJD and use the credit card or charge to room

auckland
reviews: 38
7. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

yes I would go for around 400 to 500 just in case. Note if you are at the resort with a credit card they will now sting you with a pretty hefty credit card fee. Depending on how you feel carrying cash around it can be worth paying your whole bill in cash

Australia
reviews: 5
8. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

We get cash from an ATM in Fiji and find they are a much better rate. There is an ANZ ATM as you walk out of the arrival area 9 (and inside I think in the baggage area). There is a Westpac ATM at Port Denarau (where you catch the Mana ferry). You should have time.

At today's Westpac rates you should be getting close to F$170 for AUD$100.

Have at least enough cash on Mana for crab racing(I have seen people bid well over a hundred dollars on a crab), eating at the backpackers, etc.

We also pay for our accom. and most of our meals by direct bank transfer to Mana.

Edited: 1:48 am, February 01, 2012
Lautoka, Fiji
reviews: 31
9. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

Current cash exchange rates are 0,55 at ANZ in Lautoka which comes to F$182 for A$100. In Sydney I got F$175 for A$100 at UAE. There was even a better rate at some money exchange place closer to the markets. They were offering 0,54.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 93
10. Re: Taking cash or traveller's cheque

Using a credit card at Mana adds 3.5% to your bill.

Get answers to your questions about Mana Island