We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lice

Which Malolo Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 6
Sea Lice

Has anyone had an issue with sea lice. I have read a copy of posts where people have been bitten at Malolo and Mana and I'm now a bit concerned?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Sea Lice

I have never had a problem at Mana with sea lice.

Nola ;)

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
reviews: 12
2. Re: Sea Lice

No, neither have we.

Maree :D

Edited: 5:33 pm, June 20, 2011
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
reviews: 92
3. Re: Sea Lice

Unfortunately sea lice can occur around any reefs at any time. Usually on the change of tide. You can get them one day and then not the next. Make swimming and snorkeling quite unpleasant but you can sometimes swim out of the area they are in. Seem to be worse in warmer months for some reason.

Brisbane
reviews: 25
4. Re: Sea Lice

I'm very susceptible to sea lice in Australia to the point I avoid going in the ocean. But I love going to the Mamanucas as I've never had a problem.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
reviews: 92
5. Re: Sea Lice

We have encountered them at Castaway, Matamanoa, Tokoriki, Navini,Treasure and while snorkeling on some of the reefs off Mana including the sandbank and other big reefs in the Mamanucas as well as elsewhere in Fiji

Moreton Island...
reviews: 70
6. Re: Sea Lice

Sea lice are actually the larvae of jellyfish and love warm waters.

We've been lucky so far, haven't had a problem with sea lice.

It's those pesky little grey striped fish that love nibbling on me in the shallows I hate.

LTB

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 2
7. Re: Sea Lice

Hi Shas45. As others have previously stated sea lice may be present one day and gone the next. Don't stress about the sea lice, if they are about when you travel my advise is don't scratch! Have found the bites are like mossie bites, scratch them and they become worse. Fijians used vinegar on the bites to stop the itch. We take Paraderm Plus available from the chemist in Victoria which is a antiseptic / anaesthetic / anti-inflammatory cream which is great for bites, sunburn and cuts.

Enjoy your Fiji Holiday. Jacqui :)

Coomera, Australia
reviews: 20
8. Re: Sea Lice

We ran into lice a few times off Malolo Lailai last December after having no problems the previous 2 visits. Luck of the draw really. It was suggested to us that there had been a lot of rain and that had meant more debris in the water running off from the main island which had an effect on the amount of lice in the water.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
reviews: 202
9. Re: Sea Lice

I got a good lot of bites on our last trip - I could FEEL them biting me inside my swimmers while I was in the sea. Unfortunately, some people get bitten by sealice and then blame it on bedbugs! We travel with sandalwood based bite cream and the best thing I've ever used on them is tanna oil (from Vanuatu) but any of the antiseptic oil based bite creams like lavender, tea tree etc work well. Even having a good old tube of Savlon is handy for bites, cuts etc. Just part of being in the tropics really.........

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 6
10. Re: Sea Lice

Thanks very much for the advice guys.

I've been to the Maldives twice and to the Great Barrier Reef and never heard of sea lice, which is why I'm a bit concerned, especially having a 6 and 8 year old. If they get bitten once, that will be it, they won't go back in the water. Don't want it to ruin our hoiiday. Fingers crossed then, all is good and I'll try not to think about it.