We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Which Montgomery hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Piedmont, California
reviews: 50
Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

I've searched the Internet and Trip Advisor for suggestions, and have found the Rosa Parks Museum, City Hall, etc. Can anyone suggest a day trip or something a little less known? We're visiting our son, who is acting at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, so we will see some plays.

AL
reviews: 14
1. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Good ideas so far; the Rosa Parks museum and Capitol are good place to start. Do you like sports? If so, check out a Montgomery Biscuits baseball game (minor league); the tickets are really reasonable and the stadium used to be a train station, so it's pretty neat. Montgomery LOVES the Biscuits and the games are a lot of fun. There is also a really good Thai restaurant nearby called Lek's Railraod Thai (if you like Thai food); very small and I can't remember if they take reservations, but if you go on a game night, they may be a little crowded.

If it's a nice day, walk around the park at the Shakespeare Festival; it's really pretty too. You may also want to go over to Huntingdon's campus and walk through the Old Cloverdale district. They have a some cute shops and restaurants (try Tomatino's pizza...yummy!)

Day trips.....if you are really interested in Civil Rights, you can drive to Selma. You can also drive up to Auburn on I-85 (~45 min); they have a beautiful campus and a really cute downtown with lots of small, local stores and restaurants.

Hope that helps!! :)

Piedmont, California
2. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Are there any famous houses or gardens near Montgomery? I love gardens.

Mobile
reviews: 18
3. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Although I hate to send your tourist and sales tax dollars to Georgia, you might like Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA and maybe a visit to to Warm Springs GA to see FDR's little White House. Full disclosure - I've never been to either but I know it's an easy drive from Montgomery and I've had good reviews on Callaway Gardens from friends. Anyway, check out the web sites. Auburn is a nice stop along the route.

Piedmont, California
4. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.

Birmingham, AL
reviews: 21
5. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Oh, you can visit Jasmine Hill. Pretty.

www.jasminehill.org

Also I always have fun at the Eastbrook Antique Mall. Im not a big antique shopper nor flea market, etc. but for some reason, this is a really good one. fun to walk around. Good plan B spot if it is really hot outside.

www.eastbrookantiquemall.com

Also, you can take a tour at the Hyundai Plant, if that is your thing.

www.hmmausa.com

have fun,

Miller

Commack, New York...
6. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

I have a lot of info for you. Email me at nursehaber@optimum.net so I will get you the travel info.

Commack, New York...
7. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

I have a lot of info for you. Email me at nursehaber@optimum.net so I will get you the travel info.

Piedmont, California
8. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

You're all so helpful. I'll be in Montgomery tomorrow and we have lots to do, thanks to your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Edited: 1:09 am, April 19, 2012
Enterprise, Alabama
reviews: 141
9. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Jasmine Hill Gardens is in Wetumpka, very close to Montgomery. You might want to check it out online. I have not personally been there. Wetumpka is a cute little place and the Ox Yoke is a great restaurant to try there. Callaway is probably about a couple of hours away. It is really nice but you need at least a whole day to check it out.

I agree that the Biscuits is a must do if they are in town. You can get seats for about $10 each, great ballpark food, etc. The Alley is across the road with nice restaurants and bars, depending on what you like for night life. There is also the Harriet II Riverboat, in this same part of town. You can check it all out online. The Montgomery Zoo is nice. I am not a Hank Williams fan but I liked the museum, just around from The Alley.

Prattville, just north of Montgomery, is also a cute town. If you go to the old part of town they have lots of cute little shops. Have fun.

If you plan downtown events and are looking for a hotel the Renaissance or the Hampton Downtown are really good. Montgomery is a beautiful city.

Piedmont, California
10. Re: Need Suggestion for things to do in or around Montgomery

Thank you for all the suggestions. We just got back and really enjoyed our stay. We actually didn't have enough time to see everything. I'd have liked to have had an extra day or two. Our trip focused around the Alabama Shakespeare Festival and we were wowed by the productions. You are so lucky to have that theater company and the beautiful theaters. The park is beautiful and we loved the museum. Most of all, though, we found the people of Montgomery so kind and helpful. Thank you all again.