We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finding snow

Which Mobile hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mobile, Alabama
finding snow

We are looking to travel right after christmas for a few days with our kids. We are wanting to visit destinations with snow as our kids have not seen snow ever. Where is the closest place we travel to find snow or do snow activities for the kids? We live in southern Alabama. Our kids are 4-10y. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fairhope, Alabama
reviews: 5
1. Re: finding snow

You posted this in the Alabama Forum. It does not snow in any consistent amount in Alabama. I would post this in Eastern TN or the Carolinas.

Mobile, Alabama
2. Re: finding snow

Thanks for the tip. I will do that.

Athens, Alabama
reviews: 356
3. Re: finding snow

Cloudmont Ski Resort in Mentone is the only place I know of that consistently has snow in Alabama (weather permitting) but it is man made. http://www.cloudmont.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 316
4. Re: finding snow

The higher elevations of the Great Smoky Mts. NP do get snow. You can stay in either Townsend, Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and drive over the mountain on US Hwy 441 to the Cherokee, NC side. You would need to check the national park website for weather info and road closures, etc.

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 90
5. Re: finding snow

Are you ready for a trip (:

accuweather.com/en/…2375465

Edited: 2:14 pm, December 05, 2012
Helena, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Alabama
reviews: 142
6. Re: finding snow

Folks in Birmingham usually go to Gatlinburg, TN or western North Carolina for snow. I use iskinc.com for the best info on skiing in NC. My personal preference is the NC resorts as the TN resorts are often overrun with school, church, and tour groups from everywhere west of there as it is the first real ski area to all the population from St. Louis eastward! Have fun!

Mobile, Alabama
7. Re: finding snow

Thanks everyone for the tips and info! Very appreciative of all your help. And yes, we are sooo ready for a much needed trip.

8. Re: finding snow

Ober gatlinburg in gatlinburg,tn...they have all kinds of outdoor snow activities

9. Re: finding snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 07, 2014